Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

steering stablizer

Old 10-06-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c17loadmaster

Steering stabilizers are not charged with pressure like shocks are. They have resistance going BOTH ways:which is why is is a steering stabilizer. If your stabilizer is charged it will try and push the tie rod to the side. I have never heard of anyone mounting a standard shock in the steering stabilizers location.....but I wouldn't put it past some. FOX will not cause your jeep to pull to one side. That situation can be from several other issues such as : trackbar not centering axle, tire pressure not equal in both front tires, bent C's, bad caster, bent tie rod, etc.
Uh... Wrong. Gas charged steering stabilizers are... Charged.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing I've heard is that if you dump the Nitrogen and recharge it, I don't remember which brand, to 30 psi it doesn't push but I wouldn't want to pay over $100 for a stabilizer then pay to have it properly set up.

I am in the process of raising the track bar and flipping the drag link plus I just had the tires rotated so I think I will be fine with the cheaper non charged versions. It seems like most rigs that have dual or pricier stabilizers are over killing it or compensating for other front end issues. If I was racing I could see a purpose for them.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bubbacon

Uh... Wrong. Gas charged steering stabilizers are... Charged.
So what you are saying is that when you disconnect your steering stabilizer from the tie rod the shaft extends on its own? I would love to see a video of that.

Of course they are "charged". However you dont seem to understand how they work.

They are designed to protect the steering colum and sector shaft from sudden movement in each direction. They only slow the movement of the tie rod in both directions. They are designed to have equal resistance on compression and extension. They are not like a standard shock absorber. A standard shock absorber is designed to have weight on it, steering stabilizers are not.

I suggest you educate yourself a bit more, unless you love throwing inaccurate information out there.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

So what you are saying is that when you disconnect your steering stabilizer from the tie rod the shaft extends on its own? I would love to see a video of that.

Of course they are "charged". However you dont seem to understand how they work.

They are designed to protect the steering colum and sector shaft from sudden movement in each direction. They only slow the movement of the tie rod in both directions. They are designed to have equal resistance on compression and extension. They are not like a standard shock absorber. A standard shock absorber is designed to have weight on it, steering stabilizers are not.

I suggest you educate yourself a bit more, unless you love throwing inaccurate information out there.
Wrong. Yes, if u disconnect the ss from the bracket it will fully extend on its own (bilstein gas charged) Go educate yourself a bit.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrong. Yes, if u disconnect the ss from the bracket it will fully extend on its own (bilstein gas charged) Go educate yourself a bit.
Can you record a video of this happening?

He is right.. even if it is charged, the shaft should not move because there is equal gas pressure on both sides of the plunger. It is set up for neutral load unlike shocks which are set up to have weight on them.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by D_engel

Can you record a video of this happening?

He is right.. even if it is charged, the shaft should not move because there is equal gas pressure on both sides of the plunger. It is set up for neutral load unlike shocks which are set up to have weight on them.
I understand that... I said its a known issue with bilstein and to lesser degree fox. When i get :10 min to waste ill pull the ss and shoot a video of it. The fox 2.0 (i believe) have a valve to adjust the pressure... The bilstein does not.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

I understand that... I said its a known issue with bilstein and to lesser degree fox. When i get :10 min to waste ill pull the ss and shoot a video of it. The fox 2.0 (i believe) have a valve to adjust the pressure... The bilstein does not.
... But half of me doesnt want to just because he was a total prick with his post.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are dumb. You are really, really dumb.
Best not to talk about parts you have no idea about ;-)
Old 10-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

I smashed my stock SS, replaced it with the Teraflex SS and the next day drove to Moab. First day there I smashed my Teraflex SS on the first trail............ I give up! My wife says I should open my eyes!!! I'm still running the completely destroyed Teraflex SS
Old 10-07-2012, 07:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally got off my lazy ass and made a relocation bracket. I cant imagine smashing this thing now.

Quick Reply: steering stablizer