Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is a steering stabilizer worth it??

Old 05-09-2012, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grognard

The concern with the stock SS is that it sits below the tie rod and if you wheel at all, likely to be whacked and go bad. A better investment would be to get a relocation kit to move the SS above the tie rod and have it out of the way.
I'd still be running the stock SS had I moved it but it had a too close encounter with a large rock and thats all she wrote. I'm now running the rough country SS and it comes with all the relocation brackets for $71.00. I mounted it using the EVO flipkit mounting hole and the RC tie rod bracket. Its actually designed to be installed on the drivers side of the axle using their mounts. I prefered to keep it on the other side. I don't know if this makes much difference in performance. I honestly don't know if its better than the OEM one or not. It is much beefier than the OEM one. It feels like it does take some of the shock out of the steering wheel when you hit a pot hole at speed but that may all be in my head... Just my $0.02
Old 05-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Unless the stock one is leaking, I would run it till it dies. It does the job fine
Old 05-09-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my .02 cents. I've got the dominion relocation bracket and bilstein SS. It's protected and out of the way of most hazards. I've noticed the wobble from large potholes is gone but at slow speeds there is not difference from stock. At 55mph+ its much better than stock. Since 90% of my driving is highway it was a great investment.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input guys. So far I'm thinking I'll just relocate the stock ss and upgrade down the road if it's ever necessary.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are there any disadvantage to running dual SS's?

Im well aware it's totally unnecessary and really provides no benefit. But golly gee willickers it looks cool. It really impresses the dudes and dudettes at the mall.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifecast
I thought someone posted a video once stating that if you had a correct setup you wouldn't have death wobble at all with or without a steering stabilizer. He said that the steering stabilizer only hid the real problem.

So my point, I have no idea...

However, I want the dual setup because it looks cool.
x2 on this, thats was my first thought upon reading that. SS only masks DW...SS is in no way related to the cause of DW.

Quick Reply: Is a steering stabilizer worth it??