Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is a steering stabilizer worth it??

Old 05-09-2012, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a steering stabilizer worth it??

I am considering buying the Teraflex ss, but have read that the JK ss is capable of handling pretty much anything you can throw at it as they upgraded it big time from the TJ model.

Any input?
Thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wanted to upgrade to a Bilstein but from what I've read so far it really isn't an upgrade
Old 05-09-2012, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I put a PR 44 on my rig a while back and it did not have a bracket for an SS on it, so I have been running without it for some time and honestly, don't miss it. I have the bracket to weld, just working on other projects.

The concern with the stock SS is that it sits below the tie rod and if you wheel at all, likely to be whacked and go bad. A better investment would be to get a relocation kit to move the SS above the tie rod and have it out of the way.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grognard
I put a PR 44 on my rig a while back and it did not have a bracket for an SS on it, so I have been running without it for some time and honestly, don't miss it. I have the bracket to weld, just working on other projects.

The concern with the stock SS is that it sits below the tie rod and if you wheel at all, likely to be whacked and go bad. A better investment would be to get a relocation kit to move the SS above the tie rod and have it out of the way.
Good idea. I didn't think of that.

Thanks man
Old 05-09-2012, 02:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Grognard

x2 on this!!
I would have been running without a SS a long time ago had it not been relocated above.
I know there is a really good one out there...think its called rustys or something sold by dominion offroad...Actually saw one on a Jeep for the first time today and it looked like good stuff!!
As far as a new SS...With something trivial like that, I say if it aint broke...
Old 05-09-2012, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just replaced my stock unit with a procomp. much beefier than the factory one. i had a bad case of death wobble and upon inspection i found that all the fluid had leaked out. rides much better now.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

I thought someone posted a video once stating that if you had a correct setup you wouldn't have death wobble at all with or without a steering stabilizer. He said that the steering stabilizer only hid the real problem.

So my point, I have no idea...

However, I want the dual setup because it looks cool.

Trending Topics

Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

You don't need a steering stabilizer. I've been without one for a year. Also the stock one does just fine no real need to upgrade.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking to relocate and you have a lift 3"+, I'd go with the EVO drag link flip kit. It corrects your post-lift steering AND relocates the SS on the axle-end.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Tera Flex on for a while now, I noticed the difference in the begining. Now its normal steering.Its worth up replacing the stock stabilizer.

Quick Reply: Is a steering stabilizer worth it??