Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which steering stabilizer to run?

Old 08-13-2011, 03:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
The SS does very little--I drove without one for a week and did not even notice it missing. Many others on this forum have similar stories to tell.
I hear that from more and more people and i am curious to drive, as a test, without one.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had the blisten, lasted 13 months and of course my warrenty for pats was 12,. Replaced it with the skyjacker dual stabilizer and no problems
Old 08-13-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Teraflex is still fine, but only been on there 9 months or so.

I also ran with the blown stock SS for awhile, could not tell it was not working. Oil on the ground was the only way I knew it was bad.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:49 AM
JK Junkie

My experience, glean what you might from it:

1. Stock SS failed in less than a year. I had relocated it, but it started leaking. Replaced with a TF.

2. After about another year the TF had a slight bend in it on the shaft. Undoubtedly it was caused by hard wheeling and the way in which I had the components arranged--there's not much space for things to move around. Despite the damage, it was not leaking.

3. Replaced with another TF. It is working fine after another three years.

4. Slightly related: I had four RC shocks two of which started to leak within a year. Replaced with TF last year and they are just fine.

Other consideration:

As I said, there isn't much room under there. Don't go for large size thinking that is better--if you do other upgrades (Curries rods, etc), you will need the room. The SS does very little--I drove without one for a week and did not even notice it missing. Many others on this forum have similar stories to tell.
I also run a TF SS and it held up quite well at rausch creek or should I say rock creek... Do I notice an actual difference or if it's doing anything, no, not really... Think it's more of a peace of mind type thing...
Old 08-13-2011, 06:20 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
I also run a TF SS and it held up quite well at rausch creek or should I say rock creek... Do I notice an actual difference or if it's doing anything, no, not really... Think it's more of a peace of mind type thing...
Yeah, I don't mean to suggest that people should just remove it and be done with it. But, it's just not a critical piece of hardware--don't waste time worrying about the "best one" or money trying to get the "best performance". Anyone wanting to replace the stocker should just find one that is reliable and small (because large is counterproductive to everything that is going on down there when wheeling). As for duals--being even larger, they are not compatible with a wide range of mod's to the steering and suspension. Check carefully any current or planned upgrades for compatibility.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:00 AM
JK Junkie

Yeah, I don't mean to suggest that people should just remove it and be done with it. But, it's just not a critical piece of hardware--don't waste time worrying about the "best one" or money trying to get the "best performance". Anyone wanting to replace the stocker should just find one that is reliable and small (because large is counterproductive to everything that is going on down there when wheeling). As for duals--being even larger, they are not compatible with a wide range of mod's to the steering and suspension. Check carefully any current or planned upgrades for compatibility.
I didn't even relocate the bracket, just used the stock setup. People say it performs better if you relocate it because of the angle and gets it out of the way. Like I said, rausch creek has some tough rock gardens and it came out unharmed. People talk about spending $100's on shocks as well, and im extremely happy with my TF 9550's.... It's like any other hobby, somebody is always going to spend more and try to out do someone else....
Old 08-13-2011, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

I replaced all the stock shocks and stabilizer on my stock 11' unlimited Rubi w/ the Bilsteins; to me the Jeep is much more stable and much safer. Iv'e only had the Bilsteins on for a few months so I can't say about reliability.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Freak

JeepSwag -- http://www.jeepswag.com/jeep_jk_stee...kit/index.html

Quick Reply: Which steering stabilizer to run?