Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which steering stabilizer to run?

Old 08-12-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which steering stabilizer to run?

Stock steering stabilizer is leaking and am looking to replace it with Bilstein. Any feedback would be appreciated or if there is a better ss to run.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Eeepj
Stock steering stabilizer is leaking and am looking to replace it with Bilstein. Any feedback would be appreciated or if there is a better ss to run.
Dont have much experience with SS's other than the one I have. TeraFlex. Its early but I love it so far. No drift at all with my 35"s.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:20 PM
JK Junkie

Go Bilstein its worth the money. I ran a teraflex for over a year and it just blew out I'm pretty sure I'll be going with Bilstein next. Getting tired of replacing the damn thing once a year.

Sent from my TBolt with 4GEEZ!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

I've read the Teraflex doesn't last long before it leaks but some say the Bilstein will make it pull to the left.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Junkie

I've seen plenty of TF leak its really common. I was just quick on the trigger and figured that the rest of my suspension was TF so I got it. The Bilstein push can't be that noticeable IMO compared to a piss poor alignment.

Sent from my TBolt with 4GEEZ!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My TF didn't last 2 months. I have Billsteins SS and it does not pull to the left. Performed better than TF or the stocker.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All gas charged stabilizers are going to pull because they always trying to expand. It is just the nature of the beast.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:53 AM
JK Newbie

Before you spend money, if your Jeep is still under warranty, take it to the dealer. Mine replaced my leaking stock steering damper with a (supposedly) heavier duty model, all covered under warranty. Service manager told me Chrystler has a "TSB" out on the problem.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have a RC SS and i am very happy with it. The kit comes with relocation bases so it moves over the tie rod for protection against rocks and stuff.
Old 08-13-2011, 03:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

My experience, glean what you might from it:

1. Stock SS failed in less than a year. I had relocated it, but it started leaking. Replaced with a TF.

2. After about another year the TF had a slight bend in it on the shaft. Undoubtedly it was caused by hard wheeling and the way in which I had the components arranged--there's not much space for things to move around. Despite the damage, it was not leaking.

3. Replaced with another TF. It is working fine after another three years.

4. Slightly related: I had four RC shocks two of which started to leak within a year. Replaced with TF last year and they are just fine.

Other consideration:

As I said, there isn't much room under there. Don't go for large size thinking that is better--if you do other upgrades (Curries rods, etc), you will need the room. The SS does very little--I drove without one for a week and did not even notice it missing. Many others on this forum have similar stories to tell.

Quick Reply: Which steering stabilizer to run?