Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering stabilizer question....

Old 03-07-2016, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have multiple instances in which case they do. They themselves never caused DW but certainly attributed to it. They did however, cause a wobble or steering wheel shimmy. Whether you believe it or not is moot, as I can go from the wobble- to no wobble within 5 minutes from removing the stabilizer. The first step in problem solving is tracking down the item causing the problem by process of elimination. If the problem ceases when something is changed, whatever has been changed is obviously the issue. Maybe not the ONLY issue, but the issue nonetheless.

And in which cases the problem has occurred, the stabilizer was near seized. I may not be an expert on steering, but I'm pretty sure that's going to cause some type of issue.

Last edited by Chuck-The-Ripper; 03-07-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
I have multiple instances in which case they do. They themselves never caused DW but certainly attributed to it. They did however, cause a wobble or steering wheel shimmy. Whether you believe it or not is moot, as I can go from the wobble- to no wobble within 5 minutes from removing the stabilizer. The first step in problem solving is tracking down the item causing the problem by process of elimination. If the problem ceases when something is changed, whatever has been changed is obviously the issue. Maybe not the ONLY issue, but the issue nonetheless.

And in which cases the problem has occurred, the stabilizer was near seized. I may not be an expert on steering, but I'm pretty sure that's going to cause some type of issue.
Alright then

Sent from my SM-N920T using JK-Forum
Old 03-10-2016, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DH2002
So I bought a new Quadratec steering stabilizer to replace my stock stabilizer because my OEM one has a decent dent in it due to wheeling. so I replace the shock and decide to take a run on the highway to make sure everything was ok and once I hit 40 mph I got death wobble like crazy, I have never had the problem before so I immediately went home and put the OEM stabilizer back on and presto! no wobble at all. So needless to say very confused....Thanks for any help...
From what I know, the job the SS usually does is it just masks other problems in the steering system. The most common problem is loose connections, bolts that aren't tight enough, and warn parts. Caster is also an issue on lifted vehicles, however, Caster that is slightly off, doesn't usually cause DW, it just makes your Jeep want to drive into the ditch.

So, from my reasoning, there is an issue with your steering and the OE SS is doing a better job of masking the issue than the Quadratec SS. Since a SS is just a shock obsorber, have you compared the units while off the vehicle. You said that there is a dent in the old one. Is the dent in the middle or at an end? Can you move the piston in an out of both units? What is the resistance of each? Have you driven the thing without a SS? If so, what was it like (not advocating that you do this, but if you already did?)

I would check those things first, then I would get under there with a wrench and torque all the connecting arm bolts, the track bar bolts, the tie rod bolts. Don't forget to check the rear as well. Finally I would check the ball joints and the tie rod ends. When all that is good, I would take it and get an alignment done.

Other than those things, I would be at a loss.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After you work out the wobble you should look at relocating the SS. The stock position makes the SS a target for rocks.

Quick Reply: Steering stabilizer question....