Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Stabilizer - Necessary?

Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Stabilizer - Necessary?

I have been told that I need to have a steering stablizer. Is this necessary? I have 35s, 3" FT Ultimate. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:58 PM
JK Newbie

yes!! without it the ride is not that great, it jerks around way too much.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm running 32 BFG MT's on moto-metals and I just installed a skyjacker stabilizer today and it makes a big difference....

I definitely recommend it for anything larger than stock tires...
Old 08-29-2008, 09:04 PM
JK Newbie

Uhh, the Jeep *comes* with a steering stabilizer. Are you asking if you need to beef it up with an aftermarket? No.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by snippy
Uhh, the Jeep *comes* with a steering stabilizer. Are you asking if you need to beef it up with an aftermarket? No.
Well yes...((OR)) No: depends on who ya' talk to.... I've got the Rubi wheels & tires and hated the near-bumpsteer when it waas at stock height-- now I'm 5 inches taller & still with the Rubi 32"s........... I bit the bullet and bought the Rough Country DUAL stablizer--- everyone who has had it swears by it, even one guy who went through the stock one, and 'beefier' HD one and then a Superlift one: Everyone using the RC is claiming night & day diffference and no wandering.......

Mine just arrived today: goin' on tomorrow... so I'll let ya' know if thier claims hold true.

But heck- that OEM one is bare-bones minimal (and IMO) and not really up to the task of 32".... if you're running 35" I'd think you'd be nutts not to upgrade.

Just one man's opinion.........
Old 08-29-2008, 10:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deconstructionist
Rough Country DUAL stablizer--- everyone who has had it swears by it, even one guy who went through the stock one, and 'beefier' HD one and then a Superlift one: Everyone using the RC is claiming night & day diffference and no wandering.......

Mine just arrived today: goin' on tomorrow... so I'll let ya' know if thier claims hold true.

What are you doing on the computer?! Get that thing installed!
I'm going the RC route too, gotta save my pennies.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ZoSo-Green
What are you doing on the computer?! Get that thing installed!
I'm going the RC route too, gotta save my pennies.
LOL! I know I know....I came home and it was here and the sun was already setting... it SUXXXXXXXXX big time not having a garage & crappy neighbors
Bright & early t'morrow
Old 08-30-2008, 05:30 AM
JK Freak

You dont "have to" buy a new stabilizer but getting one will help out tremendously. I am running 33's that are 12" wide and I would get alot of wandering about on the road. Installed the Rough Country stabilizer and waa la no more. I cant even make my ESP activate (prob could if i really tried) but it would activate just going around the on ramp. Plus the Rough Country is only $129, very min compared to lift kits, tires, gears etc....
Old 08-30-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would have to say that yes the stabilizer does make a difference.
Have had my jeep now 20 months and installed a 3" Fabtech and love it about 3000 kms ago,on stock tires.About three weeks before I got the 35's put on the jeep felt like it was a little loose.Had the same original stabilizer and found it had gotten worse,very loose didn't like it at all.Next day got the stabilizer that matches my lift.WOW what a difference it's again very tight and feels like its stock again.Very responsive I would recommend it to anyone.
Old 08-30-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

THe stock steering stabilizer is a joke. OK if you have 32", but change it you have bigger tires

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer - Necessary?