Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering stabilizer myth and death wobble

Old 07-09-2013, 04:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't run a steering stabilizer. Haven't run one for over a year. Never noticed any difference except it no longer pushed. Was using a gas charged stabilizer.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think most people say getting a bigger and better SS doesn't cure DW.

A lot of people who get DW think they should be able to fix it with a SS... you shouldn't be getting DW even if you did run a SS.

The first two posts are useful though b/c I guess if I ever get DW I will take off my SS and test it out to make sure its not the cause. I believe the OP had legit DW, but I would say about 90% of the posts talking about DW on this forum are really just talking about a little bump steer.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have read my Death Wobble Diagnosis thread and watched my YouTube videos, close to step #1 is to disconnect the steering stabilizer.

Within a few minutes, doing a dry steering test like I show in video #2 would have exposed the faulty trackbar bushing.

Cycling the steering stabilizer by hand would have exposed the faulty stabilizer.

Glad you got it fixed.

DW is fairly simple to diagnose and fix. Few shops or dealers will know what you will understand after watching my videos, crawling under your jeep, and performing the tests in my checklist.

Like has been mentioned, a stabilizer is a mask.

What the dealers and shops too often do is notice a leaking steering stabilizer that has failed because it can no longer mask the source(s) of the problem. They blame it on the stabilizer instead of investigating the actual source(s).

This thread is helpful as a reminder that removing the steering stabilizer is needed to diagnose problems--including a bad steering stabilizer.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
If you have read my Death Wobble Diagnosis thread and watched my YouTube videos, close to step #1 is to disconnect the steering stabilizer ..... ..... This thread is helpful as a reminder that removing the steering stabilizer is needed to diagnose problems--including a bad steering stabilizer.
Bulls eye.

If I had a reason to replace the steering stabilizer now, this is what I'd have chosen --
Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
If you have read my Death Wobble Diagnosis thread and watched my YouTube videos, close to step #1 is to disconnect the steering stabilizer.

Within a few minutes, doing a dry steering test like I show in video #2 would have exposed the faulty trackbar bushing.

Cycling the steering stabilizer by hand would have exposed the faulty stabilizer.

Glad you got it fixed.

DW is fairly simple to diagnose and fix. Few shops or dealers will know what you will understand after watching my videos, crawling under your jeep, and performing the tests in my checklist.

Like has been mentioned, a stabilizer is a mask.

What the dealers and shops too often do is notice a leaking steering stabilizer that has failed because it can no longer mask the source(s) of the problem. They blame it on the stabilizer instead of investigating the actual source(s).

This thread is helpful as a reminder that removing the steering stabilizer is needed to diagnose problems--including a bad steering stabilizer.

---------------

Planman you are absolutely right! I will never argue with you on what you have shown us all.

I have not been around to check these replies because I have either been sailing or Jeeping and I have to say that so far so good! No problems at all! So far there has been zero signs of DW. The steering feels solid over bumps and at HWY speeds. I am in the process of deciding the best way to go for the bump steer. I have a little bit of bump steer and if I can afford something like the flipped drag link then I might, or I will use a dropped pitman arm.

I personally want to thank you Planman for the videos and helping with the sanity of DW. I guess it is hard to trust a lot of shops and even harder when you are personally emotionally invested in the problem. So your videos helped me sleep at night!!!!!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

I had horrible DW and couldn't seem to fix the problem. I replaces all the bushings with new ones from energy suspension an the problem is now gone. The upper front control arms were the worst. It now rides and drives like new again.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:01 PM
JK Junkie

What kind of front TB bracket? Strength or relocation ?
Old 08-12-2013, 12:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by devildogchoppers
... DW can destroy parts from just one occurance. ...
This is really the key. Once you're experiencing DW, each occurrence is damaging other parts. All of a sudden you go from one part causing the problem to several problems. I was surprised (perhaps I overlooked?) that you didn't describe checking the trackbar mounting brackets.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

If the trackbar bolts are torqued correctly will this create issues if the bracket holes are ovaled? My dealer is telling me this. (Going to a different dealer this week also)

Quick Reply: Steering stabilizer myth and death wobble