Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Is a Steering Stabilizer Just a Shock with a Fancy name

Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Steering Stabilizer Just a Shock with a Fancy name

The reason I ask is because I have some extra Black Diamond Shocks and I was wondering if one of them would work as a steering stabilizer. I just put a 3 inch Black Diamond lift on my jeep with 35s. It rides fine under 50 MPH, but after that, the suspension is very darty. I am looking for something that will help it ride better at highway speed. I had the allignment checked today and everything was good to go. Will a steering stabilizer help???? And if so, will a shock work as a steering stabilzer or do I need to order a new one????
Old 03-25-2008, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdb929
The reason I ask is because I have some extra Black Diamond Shocks and I was wondering if one of them would work as a steering stabilizer. I just put a 3 inch Black Diamond lift on my jeep with 35s. It rides fine under 50 MPH, but after that, the suspension is very darty. I am looking for something that will help it ride better at highway speed. I had the allignment checked today and everything was good to go. Will a steering stabilizer help???? And if so, will a shock work as a steering stabilzer or do I need to order a new one????
jdb929,

You can think of a steering stabilizer as a "mini shock absorber." A full size one, which is what I believe you said you have, will not fit in the location where the stock brackets are at (a full size shock is too big). If you want to truly fix the darty feel, what you want to look at is your caster angle. When you lift your Jeep, your caster changes from stock, giving you that feeling. To fix it, you need new front adjustable upper and lower control arms so you can dial in a bit more caster.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

yup...
Old 03-25-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdb929
I'm not sure if you can use one of the extra shocks for a stabilizer but I say try it. You'll just have to modify the way it attaches to the bracket. The "dartiness" can be fixed with some adjustable control arms. If your on a budget you can use front lowers to adjust your castor and wait on front uppers.

I picked up an after market (Superlift) Steering stabilizer and it seems to just be a big old shock but it does have a relocation bracket to make it fit.

Last edited by RubiconOrdie; 03-25-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:58 PM
JK Junkie

Steering stabilizers are valved differently.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:03 PM
JK Junkie

You need to find out the root cause of your dartiness.Steering stabilizers just mask the problems you are having until whatever issue you are having gets worse and worse..

Quick Reply: Is a Steering Stabilizer Just a Shock with a Fancy name