Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering stabilizer install question

Old 05-17-2021, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Steering stabilizer install question

Hello everyone.
I am replacing my old warn steering stabilizer with new one. I ordered a Falcon EF 2.1, after long time wait (backorder) finally received it, and to my surprise I realized that I ordered a wrong one. I thought that my tie rod from metalcoak is 1 5/8 but it ended up that it is actually a 1 3/8
So I can obviously return it and wait for correct size, now the stabilizer is out of stock again, and I need to pay shipping , so wasting at least 20 bucks.

So my idea is to use shims with 1 5/8 clamp to reduce size to 1 3/8 . Do you think it is a bad idea to use shims?
I found PVC pipe which ID 1 3/8 and OD is 1 5/8 which is a perfect size reducer, but will it work and not slip? should I search for metal shim or make my own from sheet of brass?
Any ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

This is where everyone will chime in and say there's no need to spend so much money on a steering stabilizer outside of general "bling". I'd return it and either get the right thing if you're dead set on it, or just get a cheap SS which is all you need if anything. That is a lot of money that could be put towards a better upgrade.

If you are hell bent on that model, I'm just not a fan of tyring to pound a square peg into a round hole. You spent a lot of money, don't try to cheap out and make it work with a bandaid fix.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, this is what I think, maybe return it and wait for the right one. I like how firm it is, I need to apply all my weight to move it, compare with my old one I can pull/push it with very small effort.
Is the cheap one will provide same firm resistance?
Old 05-17-2021, 12:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Is there an issue with your steering that you are trying to add a bandaid to? (Like low caster after a lift that causes a loose/flighty feeling.)
Old 05-17-2021, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Is there an issue with your steering that you are trying to add a bandaid to? (Like low caster after a lift that causes a loose/flighty feeling.)
No, no issue, I just ordered a new SS and I ordered a wrong clamp size. My tie rod is 1 3/8" , but I ordered for size 1 5/8. So I can't install it without shim. That's why I was asking what if I put a size reducer.

And yes my steering is kind of very light, and sometimes at speed 40-50 I fill little vibration on a steering wheel. With new SS I think my steering will be not so light and responses from road surface will be less.
I installed new TF ball joints, and tie rod and drag link from Metalcloak. No lift. Also I replaced a steering box with new one. and new wheels and 33" tires.

Last edited by microsup; 05-17-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

You can call metalcloak and order the larger tie rod. The tie rod ends are the same so you can buy just the tie rod... I would do that before you try to shim anything. Their new tie rods are 1 5/8”.
Old 05-18-2021, 04:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

How old is that TR? I don't recall MC making a 1 3/8" TR. I believe the factory TR is 1 3/8" which is probably why TF offers that, but pretty much all aftermarket TRs should be 1 5/8" or larger. Bit perplexed by this situation.

It does seem like you've thrown a lot of parts at the steering, so it makes sense now why you were trying to step up on the SS. Usually feedback that is in a certain speed range leads back to tires. Have you tried swapping the rear tires to front to see if that changes any? It's not normal to get that feedback and though adding that SS might help disguise it, it seems something is a bit off which is causing the feedback to start with.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

At some point last year metalcloak started using 1 5/8 tie rods for the jk. When I talked to them after I bent my tie rod, they said that the started using 1 5/8 for the JL’s and then just decided to use their JL tie rod for the jk.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

My tie rod is pretty much new I bought it maybe year and a half ago, so don't want to replace just normal working part. I was thinking that why would I shim it if I can just replace it with a correct size. I was waiting long enough to get it so I can wait a little more and got the right one. So I swallowed $20 shipping cost and sent it back for replacement.
Thanks for all advises, I will try to put back wheels to front to see if it is any difference, also I may go to check wheel balance to see if it will be any improvements.
Old 05-18-2021, 06:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Sv_dude
At some point last year metalcloak started using 1 5/8 tie rods for the jk. When I talked to them after I bent my tie rod, they said that the started using 1 5/8 for the JL’s and then just decided to use their JL tie rod for the jk.

Been a long time since I shopped TR's. I must just have the numbers mixed up in my head. 1 3/8" sounds so wimpy.

Quick Reply: Steering stabilizer install question