Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering stabilizer

Old 08-30-2013, 07:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. I wasn't for sure. I would hate to get the lift put on and not be able to drive it because its my DD
Old 08-30-2013, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't mean to high jack your thread, but my jeep tends to wonder on the road n progresses more as the speeds go up. It's not to the point where I can't drive it, it's still very drivable but for long trips might get tiring. I looked under the jeep n noticed that my stock steering stabilizer is bent. So I'm also looking into replacing it. Not sure if to go with a factory one or aftermarket. It's a rubicon on a 3" evo enforcer
Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flexer07
Thanks guys. I wasn't for sure. I would hate to get the lift put on and not be able to drive it because its my DD
If everything goes on right and the steering is properly set up you don't even need a stabilizer.
I didn't run one for almost a year with 37 mud grapplers. Never could tell a difference.
Now I'm running hydro assist.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Punisher417
Don't mean to high jack your thread, but my jeep tends to wonder on the road n progresses more as the speeds go up. It's not to the point where I can't drive it, it's still very drivable but for long trips might get tiring. I looked under the jeep n noticed that my stock steering stabilizer is bent. So I'm also looking into replacing it. Not sure if to go with a factory one or aftermarket. It's a rubicon on a 3" evo enforcer
Did you install the lift yourself? A shop? What is the caster set to and how was it set? I'd look into that first.

As for the SS, if it's bent I'd pull it and drive without, or just replace with a reasonable brand (including OEM) that you can buy cheapest. No need to spend lots of money. But, as I wrote before: The TF (and some other aftermarkets) are built much stronger than the OEM and won't bend as easily. Just don't spend a bunch of money on some fancy set-up.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKphotoshoot
If everything goes on right and the steering is properly set up you don't even need a stabilizer.
I didn't run one for almost a year with 37 mud grapplers. Never could tell a difference.
Now I'm running hydro assist.
I was about to say....the only thing you need to upgrade it to is hydro assist. Otherwise, keep the stocker, or take it off altogether. If you damage it, pick up either another stock unit, or something similar. It really doesn't do much anyway. I'm running the TF myself because I got a deal on it. Doesn't really seem to be too much bigger than stock.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Did you install the lift yourself? A shop? What is the caster set to and how was it set? I'd look into that first.

As for the SS, if it's bent I'd pull it and drive without, or just replace with a reasonable brand (including OEM) that you can buy cheapest. No need to spend lots of money. But, as I wrote before: The TF (and some other aftermarkets) are built much stronger than the OEM and won't bend as easily. Just don't spend a bunch of money on some fancy set-up.
No off road evolution installed it a few months ago with the evo steering flip kit as well. Idk what the caster is set to. It drove perfectly great before I noticed it was bent.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:55 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Punisher417
No off road evolution installed it a few months ago with the evo steering flip kit as well. Idk what the caster is set to. It drove perfectly great before I noticed it was bent.
I tend to agree with where Mark was going. You may notice difficulty turning one way or another with a bent SS, but it won't cause it to wander. However, you caster settings can certainly make the steering more "flighty". If you bent the SS, take a good look at the tie rod as well. If it is frowning, even a little, then you've got too much toe in, which would cause more of a shimmy, which may in turn feel like a wander.

Quick Reply: Steering stabilizer