Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Stabilizer

Old 11-25-2007, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Stabilizer

On another thread someone recommended a beefier steering stabilizer. I didn't want to highjack the thread since it was only a side note. What is a steering stabilizer? What are the benefits?

Thanks
Old 11-25-2007, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

With bigger tires & lift on a vehicle bump steer (The tendency of a vehicle to suddenly veer or swerve to one side when hitting a bump or dip in the road) is more noticeable.

Steering stabilizers minimize bump steer and keep you on the road

If you have larger tires and/or a lift or just rather cut back on bump steer altogether it is worth the $30-50 bucks for an HD Steering Stabilizer.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:17 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Exactly what DeepSky said. However, I should note that I have wheeled my JK on a Full Traction 3" Ultimate Lift and 35" tires for almost a year adding 15,000 miles on the odometer and.... with a stock steering stabilizer and without any problems. It is only now that I am on 4" of lift and 37's that I am starting to feel the need for a beefier one. Need I say, if you have your suspension and steering dialed in on a 3" lift and 35" tires or less, a "new" aftermarket stabilizer shouldn't be "required" and I wouldn't recommend buying one to fix handling issues you might be experiencing. IMHO, you should try to address the problem first and not mask it with a dampener and if you still want added dampening after that, by all means, this is a cheap upgrade.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ran the OE stabilizer for the first couple of thousand miles on my JK. Probably half of those miles with the stabilizer looking like this:

As you can see, the OE stabilizer was smashed to junk, completely dry of fluid, and worthless as all get-out! This obviously happened on a trip off-road, but to be honest, I never really noticed a difference in handing. At one point the wife had an issue with some panic-stop braking, but it never even donned on my to look at the stabilizer.

I now have a Rancho stabilizer and the difference from the smashed, bent, and empty OE one is amazing.

The other benefit to installing an aftermarket stabilizer is that it gets mounted up and out of the way of damage!
Old 11-25-2007, 09:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking into replacing my steering stabilizer but not sure which one to get
Superlift Superride
Skyjacker Heavy Duty

Rancho ?? do you have the exact part number Quadratec are selling as universal not for JK also from what i know is there as clearence issue any the stock one is pretty thin compared to aftermarkets one >>>>>>>>>

Originally Posted by macfamm
I ran the OE stabilizer for the first couple of thousand miles on my JK. Probably half of those miles with the stabilizer looking like this:

As you can see, the OE stabilizer was smashed to junk, completely dry of fluid, and worthless as all get-out! This obviously happened on a trip off-road, but to be honest, I never really noticed a difference in handing. At one point the wife had an issue with some panic-stop braking, but it never even donned on my to look at the stabilizer.

I now have a Rancho stabilizer and the difference from the smashed, bent, and empty OE one is amazing.

The other benefit to installing an aftermarket stabilizer is that it gets mounted up and out of the way of damage!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zak
I am looking into replacing my steering stabilizer but not sure which one to get
Superlift Superride
Skyjacker Heavy Duty
I have the superlift, easy install and mounts it outta the way. If i'm not mistaken the skyjacker mounts in the stock location so its fate will be the same as the stock one...
Old 11-26-2007, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is this an install that could be done by a complete novice?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fishit
Is this an install that could be done by a complete novice?
Yes - super easy to do using common metric tools
Old 11-26-2007, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Zak
Superlift Superride
Skyjacker Heavy Duty

Rancho ?? do you have the exact part number Quadratec are selling as universal not for JK also from what i know is there as clearence issue any the stock one is pretty thin compared to aftermarkets one >>>>>>>>>
I installed the Superlift SS and it is a VERY beefy stabilizer. However, I'm not convinced that Superlift knew what they were doing when they fabbed up their new bracket that attaches to the tie rod. Or maybe my setup is just different enough that $hit got in the way of the relocated stabilizer. Not sure how the other manufactures of aftermarket steering stablizers are relocating them to be up higher w/out running into similar problems I had. I'm running a Full Traction 3" Premium lift, so it shouldn't be that different than any others that have used the Superlift.

Anyway, read through this post and you will see the challenges I worked through in order to ensure my new stabilizer wouldn't make contact w/my Trackbar and/or steering arm/bar.

Since it is all said and done, I'd buy the Superlift again... I just wished I had known the solution to the inevitable challenge I had w/out having to bang my head against the wall for so long trying to figure it out.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been running 37's with a 4" lift for 3 months, and can say that I had no problems with my stock stabilizer. That is until I twisted the tierod bracket back on a rock. When I turned the wheel, I smashed the stabilizer.

I replaced it last week with a Superlift stabilizer, because I like the way their bracket moves it up out of harms way.

It looks like I may have bent my tie rod also. What do you think?

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer