Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering stabilizer...

Old 12-03-2010, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering stabilizer...

I'm looking for a good quality steering stabilizer, any suggestions?
I've got an 07' jk 4dr lifted with the black diamond 3" lift. Stocks rubbers, but planning on 35's
Old 12-03-2010, 12:47 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

honestly, the factory steering stabilizer is all that you need. i ran one with 37" tires for a long time and it worked just fine. but, if you've trashed yours, teraflex makes a nice direct bolt in replacement that is affordable and works well too.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just looked on Quadratec and they have a few on there, but don't really want to spend that kinda money. When I first lifted it, I had really bad death wobble. Put an aftermarket s/s on and it went away. Now every time it gets cold as balls, the d/w comes back..... I actually just looked at the one on there now and it's a bit beat up... I might get one that relocates it out of harms way. But thank you for your input!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

I disagree completely... the stock one is junk had 2 placed under warrantee for leaking wasnt going to play with a third... once they started leaking the steering wheel would wobble and it would bump-stear.

60 bucks is what i paid for the ORV one one for 50 bucks... i bought a different mount kit for it also

i tried the RCX dual one (with just one shock because i was going to upgrade) and it rubbed the tie rod down and had to replace the tie rod
Old 12-03-2010, 01:40 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Mr_wiki
I just looked on Quadratec and they have a few on there, but don't really want to spend that kinda money. When I first lifted it, I had really bad death wobble. Put an aftermarket s/s on and it went away. Now every time it gets cold as balls, the d/w comes back..... I actually just looked at the one on there now and it's a bit beat up... I might get one that relocates it out of harms way. But thank you for your input!
Replacing the SS (stock or aftermarket) does not cure the death wobble. It purely masks it is all. If your DW comes back, you need to focus on fixing that before replacing your SS. Once you have that isolated and fixed (most probably, loose trackbar bracket, bolt, not torqued down, etc.), you can get either a stock or Teraflex SS. Many choices out there with SS. Hope this helps. Oh, and you might want to get the JeepSWAG SS Relocation Kit while you're at it
Old 12-03-2010, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
Replacing the SS (stock or aftermarket) does not cure the death wobble. It purely masks it is all. If your DW comes back, you need to focus on fixing that before replacing your SS. Once you have that isolated and fixed (most probably, loose trackbar bracket, bolt, not torqued down, etc.), you can get either a stock or Teraflex SS. Many choices out there with SS. Hope this helps. Oh, and you might want to get the JeepSWAG SS Relocation Kit while you're at it
by now you have been masking it for so long you may have oblonged the mounting for the track bar. I would get under there and inspect it all very carefully.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

I just put on a Bilstein from 4wd.com....I can tell a difference on the street over stock...but it was $75....I had a very slight vibration around 45MPH....don't know if I masked a problem or not, but the vibration is gone.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a Fox SS w/ the relocation and it made a difference.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ditto on the fox stablizer only running 35's but made a world of difference keeping it between the lines
Old 12-03-2010, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Bought a Black Diamond steering stabilizer for my 08...works fine with my
35's.

Quick Reply: Steering stabilizer...