Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering stabilizer

Old 10-15-2010, 10:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering stabilizer

Had some death wobble the other day. Checked and re torqued everything but missed this until I was looking under the jeep earlier today. Now can o just bend the bushing back into shape or what? Thought I'd get some opinions before I go and break something else.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-82991667.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	95681  
Old 10-15-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

guess i forgot to add its an almost new teraflex steering stabilizer i bought from northridge when i put my lift on.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Where you at in KY. I just fixed my DW this past week. I'm running close to the same setup as you. That SS wouldn't cause DW. Something else is worn out. Check your tie rod and drag links for vertical and side to side play. Make sure your track bar holes aren't ovaled. And how's your alignment and wheel balanced?

What happened to mine was my caster was off on my alignment and I never checked the torque on my stock track bar the hole on the alxe ovaled causing my DW. The violent shaking wore out my tie rod and drag link ends. I replaced the trackbar with the JKS to re center the axle and beef up the bar. added re-enforcement brackets to the axle mount. (that's what came loose) Added adjustable control arms, and had Jeep replace the drag link and tie rod. They had vertical play and not side to side play. I had to show the tech at Jeep how they were bad and they replaced them under warranty.

The SS will only hide the real problem. Not fix it.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:54 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are having DW issues, I strongly suggest you report it here...

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 10-15-2010, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

i have checked the torque on everything and i cant find any ovaled out holes. i was really just trying to get some ideas on how to bend back the metal bushing. i have a vice or should i just pop it out and try to find a replacement?? by the way i live on the south side of louisville near fort knox.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
but DW is violent shaking.
it is definitely DW though. front end shakes so bad that the tires start to chirp on the pavment before i can pull off to the side. but it is so random and infrequent. happend months apart.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like what happened to mine. It started out infrequently but the more it happened the worse it got. grab a pry bar and check the tie rod ends and the drag link end if they all move the tiniest amount I'd take it to Jeep. individually I wouldn't consider it to be excessive, but combined it was a substantial amount. I found it by taking a pry bar on the axle shaft u joint and prying UP on the drag link. it wouldn't move down. Only up. the tie rods did it too. Is there anything that you installed and noticed it after the installation?

Old 10-15-2010, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by abock33
grab a pry bar and check the tie rod ends and the drag link end if they all move the tiniest amount I'd take it to Jeep.
ok, no pry bar needed.... both the tie rod and drag link move by hand. so you are saying that this is not normal?
Old 10-15-2010, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's ok if they twist like this

they're supposed to do that.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

ok, had me scared for a minute. that is the extent of their movment. and as far as the steering stabilizer, i just put the bushing in my vise and carefully bent it back into shape. looked round again so i put it back on.

Quick Reply: Steering stabilizer