Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering stab after tie rod install-synergy

Old 06-14-2014, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering stab after tie rod install-synergy

Today installed a 4:1 t case, new axle shafts and a synergy tie rod. After the tie rod instal I was surprised that it sat lower than stock did. I tried to put my dual SS on it and the bend from the mount was so bad I had to flip EM.

I currently run a dual SS that was set up badly ( on my part). I had to weld the base to a truss because the u bolt wouldn't work with it. However, I put it about an inch or so too far to the right making dialing it in a PITA.

THIS BECKONS TWO QUESTIONS:

what's a GOOD single steering stabelizer

And for those of us running the synergy tie rod, does yours hang this low? ( I don't have a high steer kit installed)
Old 06-14-2014, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd attach photos but he app on my ipad won't let me. The tie rod sits lower than stock
Old 06-15-2014, 12:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

If your Jeep is properly set up, the steering stabilizer isn't a critical piece. In fact, many of us have run without them for periods of time for various reasons. If your Jeep isn't properly set up (you suffer bump steer or death wobble), then take care of that before worrying about your steering stabilizer.

With that thought in mind, pretty much any single steering stabilizer will work well--even the OEM. I prefer the Teraflex because it's about 50% larger in the piston shaft (my OEM one bent while off-roading), and only costs about $50 or so. Dual steering stabilizers are eye candy and should be left to the mall crawler crowd (sorry, if you are one that's fine--stick with it if you like it).

As for relocating it with the Synergy tie rod, I helped a friend of mine to relocate his '12 with the TF steering stabilizer and the Dominion Off-road/JeepSWAG kit. But, he only has 2.5" of lift. Anyway, it worked fine for him. I have an '07 with the Currie tie rod (and drag link) with that same steering stabilizer relocation kit. I had problems with the stabilizer getting banged up by all of the adjacent hardware, so repositioned it from the tie rod to the drag link. It still does the same job, but now has sufficient clearance. Just food for thought.

Dominion OffRoad Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit | JeepSWAG
Old 06-15-2014, 01:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
If your Jeep is properly set up, the steering stabilizer isn't a critical piece. In fact, many of us have run without them for periods of time for various reasons. If your Jeep isn't properly set up (you suffer bump steer or death wobble), then take care of that before worrying about your steering stabilizer.

With that thought in mind, pretty much any single steering stabilizer will work well--even the OEM. I prefer the Teraflex because it's about 50% larger in the piston shaft (my OEM one bent while off-roading), and only costs about $50 or so. Dual steering stabilizers are eye candy and should be left to the mall crawler crowd (sorry, if you are one that's fine--stick with it if you like it).

As for relocating it with the Synergy tie rod, I helped a friend of mine to relocate his '12 with the TF steering stabilizer and the Dominion Off-road/JeepSWAG kit. But, he only has 2.5" of lift. Anyway, it worked fine for him. I have an '07 with the Currie tie rod (and drag link) with that same steering stabilizer relocation kit. I had problems with the stabilizer getting banged up by all of the adjacent hardware, so repositioned it from the tie rod to the drag link. It still does the same job, but now has sufficient clearance. Just food for thought.

Dominion OffRoad Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit | JeepSWAG

I agree with everything this guy said. I ran with no SS for a long time, but recently reinstalled a teraflex one just to absorb some of the bumps while on road. Good luck
Old 06-15-2014, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is putting it on the drag link really as sufficient? I might give that a shot for a bit but will prob do a high steer flip eventually.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
If your Jeep is properly set up, the steering stabilizer isn't a critical piece. In fact, many of us have run without them for periods of time for various reasons. If your Jeep isn't properly set up (you suffer bump steer or death wobble), then take care of that before worrying about your steering stabilizer. With that thought in mind, pretty much any single steering stabilizer will work well--even the OEM. I prefer the Teraflex because it's about 50% larger in the piston shaft (my OEM one bent while off-roading), and only costs about $50 or so. Dual steering stabilizers are eye candy and should be left to the mall crawler crowd (sorry, if you are one that's fine--stick with it if you like it). As for relocating it with the Synergy tie rod, I helped a friend of mine to relocate his '12 with the TF steering stabilizer and the Dominion Off-road/JeepSWAG kit. But, he only has 2.5" of lift. Anyway, it worked fine for him. I have an '07 with the Currie tie rod (and drag link) with that same steering stabilizer relocation kit. I had problems with the stabilizer getting banged up by all of the adjacent hardware, so repositioned it from the tie rod to the drag link. It still does the same job, but now has sufficient clearance. Just food for thought. Dominion OffRoad Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit | JeepSWAG
Is there any negatives to dual ss setup? I only ask because it have seen some pretty awesome well built rigs with dual ss, hemi swaps etc. They must serve a roll somehow? If they work for a mall crawler I would think they would do the same thing on an off-road rig? Or are they completely pointless? I was given a OME steering stabilizer for free when I upgraded to rubicon suspension and shocks. Figured I may as well throw it on and it does feel a little "tighter"

Last edited by cormac827; 06-15-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:32 AM
JK Junkie

A good high quality SS will help . You don't want bandaid real issues and over burden the steering pump with 2 shocks.

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 06-15-2014, 07:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by mattyk
Is putting it on the drag link really as sufficient? I might give that a shot for a bit but will prob do a high steer flip eventually.
It worked for me. Many brands of vehicles with a Panhard Rod (what we Jeepers call a trackbar) have the steering stabilizer go from the axle to the drag link, so this isn't something unusual. I suspect Jeep had two choices, so picked the one that left the steering stabilizer most vulnerable. Go figure. It was probably easier to manufacture on the assembly line.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by cormac827
Is there any negatives to dual ss setup? I only ask because it have seen some pretty awesome well built rigs with dual ss, hemi swaps etc. They must serve a roll somehow? If they work for a mall crawler I would think they would do the same thing on an off-road rig? Or are they completely pointless? I was given a OME steering stabilizer for free when I upgraded to rubicon suspension and shocks. Figured I may as well throw it on and it does feel a little "tighter"
Rigs like that are built to look impressive so, yeah, I can see them having dual stabilizers. That would be the mall crawler aspect of rigs like that (not that many of them don't see off-road as well, but they also see the showroom floor as often as not). But, as pointed out, having your steering system fighting against twice as much pressure for no good reason (since no pressure is sufficient for a properly set up rig) doesn't do the power steering any good. I've already had to replace my pump once (as have many of us on this forum). It isn't particularly well-built, what with plastic fins that easily bend when the fluid gets hot. And then, of course, there's that lighter wallet you'll have. But, if someone likes the look, go for it. Just no performance reason for it on most properly set up JKs.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cormac827
Is there any negatives to dual ss setup?
1. More crap to get damaged on trail

2. Every dollar you spend on a dual SS is a dollar that didn't get spent on something useful.

OP.... 37's with a 3.5" lift. I pulled my SS off and don't miss it at all.

Quick Reply: Steering stab after tie rod install-synergy