Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Squeal After New Parts

Old 11-08-2020, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering Squeal After New Parts

I have a 2009 Wrangler Unlimited 100k Miles and I am running 35 with a 3.5" lift . I noticed a big puddle of steering fluid under my car and upon closer inspection I saw that the high pressure line going from the steering pump to the steering box had rusted out and was leaking. I got the new hose removed the old one then realized the new hose had damaged threads on the fitting to the gear box. I ordered a new one and had to wait 3 days for the new part. Steering fluid had emptied out from removing the hose so the lines were empty for those few days.

I got the new part and installed it. added fresh fluid and jacked the car up and turned the wheel back and forth probably 30 times. tons of air came out then it tapered off and seemed like it was bled. I added more fluid. When I went for a test drive the pump is squealing like crazy. I looked and there are not leaks around the fittings I attached. There is old dirty fluid dripping off the very bottom of the gear box but I can't tell if its an active leak or if its residual from when there was a line leaking.

I also noticed it is now really easy to turn left and hard to turn the wheel right. Could there be more air trapped inside causing the squeal or does it sound like another component is broken? Anyone have ideas of what I can try?

Thanks for comments!
Old 11-09-2020, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

Weird as I had mine off the road for about 9 months doing the V8 conversion. When I put all the steering together and fired it up I simply filled the PS reservoir and pump, ran it, turned the steering a few times, topped it off and good to go. Not sure why you are having an issue with air. The squealing sounds like a hydro-lock of some sort making the pump stall a bit or a loose belt which is hard to believe on the new serpentine systems. Check the belt tension/er.

Quick Reply: Steering Squeal After New Parts