Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering "shimmy" issue after OME lift

Old 01-22-2015, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering "shimmy" issue after OME lift

Hi all, I'm relatively new to the forum and new to Jeeps. I've read dozens of threads on multiple forums trying to work this out and I try to read up on everything prior to posting but this time I'm at a loss...

Just recently lifted my '14 JKU Rubicon with a 2" OME HD lift. Right now I have a smittybilt rear bumper and only winch/winch plate on stock bumper in front so it lifted about 2.5 in the rear and 3 in the front. I'm experiencing the infamous shimmy, def not death wobble but it likes to track or pull randomly above about 40mph. I've driven cars with directional tires that like to track on certain parts of the highway and this is what it feels like.

I switched out the steering stabilizer to OME which didn't help, it made the steering feel more solid and less loose but that's about it. I just put on a Synergy adjustable front track bar, centered my axle torqued and re-torqued but still have the floating/shimmy steering pull.

Is there a way to adjust alignment with stock LCA's or do I need to purchase these as well? Seems like a lot of headaches for such a small lift. I was staying away from larger lifts because I didn't want to go to the expense of swapping axles and control arms, etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know the caster off hand? It could be the little less caster you have from lifting 3" and not using aftermarket control arms to regain some.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I would get it on a alignment rack and see where the castor and toe spec's are at.
I'm sure the castor got lowered some what with even that amount of lift. Toe is important
Also...
Old 01-22-2015, 07:19 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would loosen all control arms and track bars and torque all hardware to spec with a torque wrench and install caster correction with adjustable lower control arms or geometry brackets. Then have it aligned.

If it was good before the lift I'd bet something is loose or the alignment is off.

I don't understand why OME labels that kit as a 2" lift. Maybe 2" on a super heavy pig of a JKU.

Last edited by Ncb; 01-22-2015 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured that could be the issue. I noticed the stock MT's had kind of strange wear at the front after 15k miles, rotated every 5k...

I'll get the caster checked out but will probably install LCA's anyway for piece of mind.

Quick Reply: Steering "shimmy" issue after OME lift