Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering right and left to go straight

Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My problem was definitly to do with my track bar relocation bracket. After tightening it with the Jeep on the ground (and using thread locker) it has not returned in the last 4 months. I still notice abit of off center steering but I've tested by driving on the opposite side of the road and it seems to be purely due to road crown. I definitly know how annoying it can be though and hope you're able to figure it out.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:19 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gimp_dkd
My problem was definitly to do with my track bar relocation bracket. After tightening it with the Jeep on the ground (and using thread locker) it has not returned in the last 4 months. I still notice abit of off center steering but I've tested by driving on the opposite side of the road and it seems to be purely due to road crown. I definitly know how annoying it can be though and hope you're able to figure it out.
I know in your case, it was the track bar relocation bracket; I was just curious to see if anyone else that'd mentioned having this issue narrowed it down to the same item or if it had to do with any other component?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:24 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by toad
Right before my trackbar bracket broke, my steering was all wonky like the OP has described. I was turning left and I thought to myself, " why is my steering wheel upside down?" I started to drive a little more and BAM!! DW hit. I had a relocation bracket for my trackbar. The stress of it caused my factory bracket to break. When I read the OPs original post, I was going to suggest looking at the trackbar bracket and mounts. Make sure there is absolutely no play in it. I was able to see the break, and it was worse as the steering wheel turned. Just something to think about.
I've looked over the relocation bracket and I see nothing wrong with it - definitely don't feel any play in it, and didn't notice any movement when I had a buddy turn the steering wheel from end to end. I'll check it again tomorrow if it's dry outside. Since I don't recall having this issue when I had the stock steering stabilizer and went to the RC Duals [and ended up having to take one shock out because of contact with the track bar], I was wondering if something on the steering stabilizer could cause such an effect? Or could it be something more serious like the gearbox? When the JK is turned off and parked, I notice that there's a little movement in the steering wheel - I can move it from approx. the 9 'o clock - 3 'o clock position to about 10 'o clock - 4 'o clock position and it stays there without springing back to the center... Anyone else have this?
Old 03-25-2010, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

EVO identified a problem with the steering box flexing (as I understand it) and came up with a bracket to brace it, and eliminate the problem.

I experience a bit of what you guys are describing, but only at interstate speeds...basically a pretty big dead spot at the top of the wheel. Unfortunately I can't use this brace. From Mel's site: "Can be used with any suspension kit that has a drop track bar bracket on the frame side"

I believe a hot link is OK since they're a sponsor.
http://www.offroadevolution.com/stor...?prod=EVO-1015

Quick Reply: Steering right and left to go straight