Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering right and left to go straight

Old 12-16-2009, 01:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allignment?

Did you all check your allignment? If there is too much toe out with the front it will pull to the slope of the road. Not sure but didnt see anyone mention this yet. good luck
Old 12-16-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How my steering stabilizer bracket fell is beyond me. I don't understand it. I am gonna lift the front end like 1/2 inch in January. While I got it off I guess I will pull pitman and see if splines are ruined. Thanks guys.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doctordel
After recentering the wheel after installing lift, when I pulled out of the driveway and drive straight, the wheel is no longer centered. Strangely, during around town driving, I have noticed that the wheel may need to be turned and held to the right or the left in order to go straight. Literally, I will be driving down a straight street and the wheel will be about 10 degrees to the right. Then, I will make a u-turn to the left and when I drive down the same stretch of straight road I am holding the wheel 10 degrees to the left. This has been going on since the lift was installed.
I have had this exact same problem since installing my lift also! It annoys me to no end. Please let me know if you figure it out as I am completely out of ideas concerning how to correct it. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to give a x2 on the track bar bracket. If you have play left and right on the steering wheel at a stop and the wheels don’t seem to move but the cab does, that your problem.

If this only happens at speed, check you alignment and tire psi. If you overinflated larger tires that you may have installed with the lifts, the small contact patch could give you some erratic steering.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bostonMA
I'm going to give a x2 on the track bar bracket. If you have play left and right on the steering wheel at a stop and the wheels don’t seem to move but the cab does, that your problem.

If this only happens at speed, check you alignment and tire psi. If you overinflated larger tires that you may have installed with the lifts, the small contact patch could give you some erratic steering.
My tires are at 40 psi. Is that to high. I torqued trackbar to 140 lbs last week. Still does it. I had a popping noise in it. I just changed out tie rod end cause boot was busted. Guess I will be buying new rod end also. Get them both at same time. It not like I don't have control of vehicle or causing traction control problems.. Just annoying more than anything. I was beginning to think it does this cause the jeep is trying to hold slope of the road. It not nearly as bad as it was when stabilizer was filing down trackbar. I wish I could figure out why that would happen. How your stabilizer falls. I am not real hardcore offroad person.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jusaplaya
My tires are at 40 psi. Is that to high. I torqued trackbar to 140 lbs last week. Still does it. I had a popping noise in it. I just changed out tie rod end cause boot was busted. Guess I will be buying new rod end also. Get them both at same time. It not like I don't have control of vehicle or causing traction control problems.. Just annoying more than anything. I was beginning to think it does this cause the jeep is trying to hold slope of the road. It not nearly as bad as it was when stabilizer was filing down trackbar. I wish I could figure out why that would happen. How your stabilizer falls. I am not real hardcore offroad person.
I would lower psi to about 28 on the claws and see what happens. It is a simple thing to rule out and an easy fix if that’s the case.

The issue that I have seen with track bar brackets is, on the axle side type brackets, the additional bolts that hold it on (in addition to the bolt higher up going through the bar itself) may not hold the bracket secure in place on the axle mount. In this case you will have minor play between the axle and the frame as you try to turn the wheel.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:06 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

man, if you guys are really having a track bar bracket moving on you as has been described, you definitely would be having death wobble as well.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bostonMA
I would lower psi to about 28 on the claws and see what happens. It is a simple thing to rule out and an easy fix if that’s the case.

The issue that I have seen with track bar brackets is, on the axle side type brackets, the additional bolts that hold it on (in addition to the bolt higher up going through the bar itself) may not hold the bracket secure in place on the axle mount. In this case you will have minor play between the axle and the frame as you try to turn the wheel.
Mine is on frame side. I had problems with the bolt going thru original factory hole being loose. The truck sounded like a pirate ship when you turned. It might be tire psi like you said. I am gonna lower that tonight. I gotta get the mud hosed off it this afternoon. Finally seems everything is drying out. I have never had any death wobble.

Last edited by Jusaplaya; 12-17-2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run 28 psi in my Toyo's and still have this problem. I have yet to check the track bar bracket or pitman arm connection to the drag link, but will do this when I get home from work.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:14 AM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=Jusaplaya;1474488] It not nearly as bad as it was when stabilizer was filing down trackbar. QUOTE]

I made a mistake in this. It is filing down the tie rod when I finally found it. My pitman does move a tiny bit. Like WOL said. I gotta replace that eventually. Up and down movment. Extremely tiny amount though.

Quick Reply: Steering right and left to go straight