Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Return Line Hose Burst! :O

Old 06-27-2021, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Return Line Hose Burst! :O

Hey there!

I purchased the Big Bore Steering box a couple years ago for my 2012 4 Door Rubi. The return line right at the fitting of the box has a rubber hose connecting to the existing return line that goes back to the pump.
We barely made it home today after that hose blew a hole in it while wheeling lightly on the gravel trail.
It seems all aftermarket replacement hoses contain the same rubber hose connection that is attached to the fitting line (see attachments).
Do you guys have an opinion that could help, or an idea of hoses that can better handle the pressure and heat?
Feeling pretty deflated and unconfident about this jeep's reliability out on the trail. Especially in this heat! :(

Thank you ~

Last edited by FreedomFinder91; 06-27-2021 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Jeep Model
Old 06-27-2021, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

I think you’ll be fine if you just replace the hose with another of the same. It’s likely that the stock hose just broke down over 10 years and it just gave up. Are you using a higher pressure psc pump? What about their reservoir?
Old 06-27-2021, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I figured the hose I was using was either too weak to handle the SAE specs needed and/or was too old. I'm going with 3/8" SAE J1019 hose and using fuel injection hose clamps.

Stock pump and reservoir. Just the Big Bore box.

Last edited by FreedomFinder91; 06-27-2021 at 03:13 PM. Reason: need more info

Quick Reply: Steering Return Line Hose Burst! :O