Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Questions:

Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Questions:

Hello, I've got a 2014 JKR with a 2.5" RK X-Factor lift on 315-70/17 Mastercraft Courser MXTs, 4.75" BS. I use the Jeep for 4-wheeling, and drive on the highway/interstate with no intention of trailering. Reliability is the goal. I have no plans to do any serious rock crawling, and would rather think of this as an expedition vehicle.

I'd like to move the steering stabilizer higher and have a few questions.

1. While I'm there: Should I consider a front track bar relocation bracket? I do notice some bump steer once in a while but nothing major.
2. I don't anticipate needing a stronger tie rod or drag link, but are they easy to bend?
3. The Reid Racing knuckles seem to offer a lot considering the price. is anyone running them and are there any drawbacks?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-13-2014, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I will limit my remarks to what I've seen: The drag link especially is "easy" to bend. But, it won't keep you from getting home. Learn how to recenter the steering wheel and how to use the various settings of the ESP OFF switch, then wheel until if/when you muck it up. You can even go past that, but once bent it is even easier to bend again.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) If you raise the trackbar, you will need to flip the draglink. I'm guessing you've gained about 3.5" of lift if you still have stock bumpers and whatnot, so a DL flip is advisable.
2) The stock draglink is a wet noodle and the tie rod ends on both draglink and tie rod are garbage. I suggest swapping out both pieces when funds allow.
3) Don't waste your money on these at this time. Stock knuckles are fine and there are better things to spend your dough on
Old 06-13-2014, 12:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I'll second what he said. Getting the stabilizer up out of harms way is a good thing. And if the actual lift height is in the 3.5" range or so, (since you need to add about 3" of bumpstop for clearance) feel free to do the front and rear raised trackbar brackets for roll center, as well as flipping the axle end of the drag link to the top of the knuckle. As noted, you want to move the trackbar and drag link at the same time to keep your steering angles correct. Raising one without the other will cause another post asking us what the hell happened...
Old 06-13-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What 'nthinuf' said. Also, you mentioned the Reid Knuckles and other heavy duty stuff. You also said you don't do heavy trails, just some 'expedition' type adventures. Don't spend the kind of cash it would take to put on Reid Knuckles or a 200 dollar track bar etc when you're limiting yourself to the offroad style you're into. When you do decide to go into rock crawling, then buy the necessary items. I'm just looking at it from a 'needs' as opposed to 'wants' items. As far as raising up items that may be damaged, absolutely do it.

Quick Reply: Steering Questions: