Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering question

Old 03-11-2013, 11:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering question

Hey guys, so I just installed the teraflex 1.5 spacer lift and I have my 33inch Mickey Thompson mtz's on and I've been noticing that I have to tilt my steering wheel slightly to the left in order to go straight. Is this just a steering alignment issue or something else?
Old 03-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by yann-5394
Hey guys, so I just installed the teraflex 1.5 spacer lift and I have my 33inch Mickey Thompson mtz's on and I've been noticing that I have to tilt my steering wheel slightly to the left in order to go straight. Is this just a steering alignment issue or something else?
After installing a lift kit or any type of suspension mod, you should always get your Jeep realigned. It sounds like that is all the issue is, but if you get it aligned and it still has the issue then it could be a steering or tire issue. A good alignment shop with experience aligning lifted 4x4's will be able to get you fixed up pretty quickly though.

If you have any questions, shoot me over PM and I'll help you out

-Zach
Old 03-11-2013, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed the same kit recently and I believe it tells you in the directions how to realign if needed. Its possible that's was in the YouTube install video... I used both. I don't think you need to pay someone to do it, you just loosen a bolt, have someone straighten the wheel then tighten it.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Most with the TF leveling kit have indicated that it doesn't put the alignment off, but you might need to re-center the steering wheel. That's what I did.

It's an easy adjustment; loosen the nuts on the tie rod adjustment bracket and turn one way or the other- shouldn't take more than 1-2 revolutions.
Here's a link with instructions: Steering wheel alignment [Archive] - JKFreaks 2007-2013 Wrangler JK Forum
Old 03-11-2013, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Hey guys thanks for the info and I would prefer to do it myself if it's nothing too complicated. Also should I change anything else like the Upper and lower control arms?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nothing you have done will change the front end alignment, but adding any amount of lift will throw the steering wheel off center.

Very easy to adjust. Find the rod with an adjusting sleeve and 2 sleeve bolts. Leave the rod with one bolt and a knurled plastic adjuster alone. That's your tie rod. You want to adjust the relay rod (AKA drag link).

Just turn the adjusting sleeve until the wheel is centered. Might take a couple tries.

Quick Reply: Steering question