Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering problems since the 3.5" lift

Old 12-09-2011, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering problems since the 3.5" lift

This summer I installed a 3.5 inch BDS suspension lift, drop pitman arm, track bar relocation brackets and wheel spacers. Since then the steering is pretty stiff, and pretty much sticks in the direction I steer without returning to center like it used to.

I have done the alignment, she tracks straight, and there is no play in the steering. Steering wheel is centered, stock steering stabilizer still, and I have no clunking problems or anything, mainly just the sticky, firm steering. Anyone else have this issue?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

have you checked your power steering pump? what about the ram?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Pump seems fine, but sorry, what's the ram?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Could be the pitman arm. I run the same amount of lift and still using factory pitman arm and have no problems whatsoever
Old 12-09-2011, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

The lift originally had no front track bar relocation bracket or drop pitman arm. I added those later to see if it would fix the problem but didn't really change...
Old 12-11-2011, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

I think I'll try installing some longer control arms, anyone know which I need to replace, front uppers or lowers (or both)? (For a 3.5 inch bds suspension lift)

Or adjustable control arms possibly? Any brand recommendations?
Old 12-11-2011, 09:40 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by a.avril
This summer I installed a 3.5 inch BDS suspension lift, drop pitman arm, track bar relocation brackets and wheel spacers. Since then the steering is pretty stiff, and pretty much sticks in the direction I steer without returning to center like it used to.

I have done the alignment, she tracks straight, and there is no play in the steering. Steering wheel is centered, stock steering stabilizer still, and I have no clunking problems or anything, mainly just the sticky, firm steering. Anyone else have this issue?
have you pulled your steering stablizer and tried cycling it by hand. what you're describing sounds like a stabilizer that's seizing up.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up Yeah, that totally describes my steering...

Thanks to everyone for all the help. Steering stabilizer works fine, it is sounding like it's the caster angles and steering box that is causing the problem.

(Before breaking down and buying the appropriate Pitman arm puller, we used a pry fork and hammer for an hour to try to get it off, I'm sure that tightened things up in the steering box... I will be looking for that adjustment on the top of the box when I get home!!)

As for adjusting the caster angles, I assume longer control arms are in order....Does anyone know which I would have to change out, front uppers or front lowers or both? Also looking for any recommendations for appropriate length of control arms for the 3.5 inch lift, and if anyone knows a good manufacturer or supplier.

As a newbie to this site I've got to say what a great forum this is, I've been a member of a few other jeep forums but this one is definitelly the best. I'd rate it 5 out of 5
Old 12-14-2011, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome, I adjusted the gear lash in the steering box and that really seamed to help, think I'll hold off on a new box for now.

I'll have to eventually fix the caster angles with some longer control arms, I'm sure that would help too.

(My track bar relocation bracket is the one that elevates the connection point on the passenger side front axle, it also puts my stabilizer in a way better position (straighter) and gives me way more clearance. I wouldn't think that would cause any problems, cause now my steering components are pretty much back to the stock angles)

Thanks everyone for all the help, already felt a big improvement. Cheers

Quick Reply: Steering problems since the 3.5" lift