Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering problems PLEASE HELP!!

Old 10-29-2009, 09:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Initally I thought you have a case of the Death Wobble, but this sounds more like the track bar or drag link are binding. This would create a coupling between the vertical movement of the track bar and the lateral movement of the drag link in the steering system, so when one moves so does the other.

With the vehicle stopped, have someone turn the steering wheel from lock to lock and check to see if the suspension moves. Check the joints on both the track bar, drag link and tie rod for proper fit and fluid motion.

Something has to be out of spec. (to tight, loose, broken). Teraflex sales volume is too high have such an obvious flaw in the design of their products.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wildandwillin
I have watched this go on for awhile.... I do have the flip kit from TeraFlex. I installed it with my lift and never once had a issue or a problem. THE DESIGN DOES WORK. 12000 miles hard off road and hwy driving later and the lift and all its componets f-n rock. All of you have seperate issues you created yourself and need to find them and then correct them. Just dont bash a products because you have missed or left something go. Get your act together fix it and stop trying to blame everyone but the one putting it in. The product is tried and true, They cannot be responsable for faulty installs.
Unless you have seen every jeep that has this problem, I suggest you back off before you piss me off. How dare you.

I have contacted Terflex, I have sent them photos, I have done all that. Guess what they said: "Well, we are installing one in the back right now, let me go ask.

That was a week and a half ago, never got another word from them.

So, shut up!
Old 10-30-2009, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im saying my Jeep had 300 miles on it when I installed everything. This is my only issue.. I don't think anything should be worn out with 300 miles. I have 1056 on it Today!! I don't think anything is installed wrong as it is pretty common sense as to how it goes. Don't think you could install it wrong if you tried!!! I just need a cure or something to try. I am rechecking everything today..
Old 10-30-2009, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

yeah, i've seen a number of posts suggesting install error. really don't see how mine would be incorrectly installed, as i followed the instructions.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
TeraFlex Rep

Originally Posted by PeeJ_Zip
Unless you have seen every jeep that has this problem, I suggest you back off before you piss me off. How dare you.

I have contacted Terflex, I have sent them photos, I have done all that. Guess what they said: "Well, we are installing one in the back right now, let me go ask.

So, shut up!
PeeJ Zip,
First off let me apologize for TeraFlex. We did a poor job of defining the application parameters on our JK Steering Flip Kit. The kit was designed for the 6” long arm lift platform and comes as part of that kit. We use it on the TeraFlex 4” lifts as an add on. We have no way to know what the actual measurements are on other brands or what components they have or don’t have. The TeraFlex 4” lift has an increase of about 5.25” in the front and 4.25” on the rear. Some lift companies label their lift based on average front and rear lift and some by the front lift increase. Lift height is one factor that you need to pin point before solving this issue, it affects everything. With that said we have installed this kit on our 3” kits which have a front lift increase of 4.25” on a 4 door with good success but we don’t market it as a preferred application. The sweet spot for this Flip kit is the 6 inch lift but we have had excellent results on our 4” lift kits, especially long arm applications. Yes you may get a little steering wheel movement which may be more noticeable with softer spring rates and shocks but with the TeraFlex package its minimal and has not been an issue as far as function or performance.
My advice would be one of two things:
Remove the flip kit and return it for a refund and then work with Rusty to help get the Jeep the way you want it with his experience. Rusty’s lift recipe is fundamentally different than the TeraFlex one. But if anyone can get a Rusty’s lift working the way they designed it, Rusty can.
Second choice would be to establish your lift height and then look at a TeraFlex lift with a comparable actual height. See what components are different or missing and fill in the holes. You will probably need to increase the ride height a little more. We will be happy to work some special prices on the needed components to help you get this behind you.
I have complete confidence in the quality, engineering and performance of our TeraFlex JK lifts the way we package them. We have proven these kits in Moab and every other off road environment including days of testing on the proving ground at Jeep Corp. in Michigan with seasoned suspension/drivability engineers.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:34 AM
JK Jedi

So, shut up!
Wow, all I said is that something is not right. Your lift, your install, your mixed componets. I have the proper lift for the aplication and instaled correctly. I have 46k on my jeep with no issues what so ever. I did tons of research and picked acordingly.

As fas as shut up..... OK. Your asking for opinions and ideas. I gave mine. It also seems that TeraFlex is saying the same thiing you put a part on a lift that is not designed for it.

As far as pissing you off, Really? you should think twice about how you talk to people you dont even know. I never once attacked you personaly or profesionaly.

Like I said and I will say it again look at your install something is not right. Seems like your lift is to small for the flip kit. AS PER TeraFlex.

So next time you decide to act like a jerk. Realize maybe someone else opinion my be correct.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mssbbmia
PeeJ Zip,
First off let me apologize for TeraFlex. We did a poor job of defining the application parameters on our JK Steering Flip Kit. The kit was designed for the 6” long arm lift platform and comes as part of that kit. We use it on the TeraFlex 4” lifts as an add on. We have no way to know what the actual measurements are on other brands or what components they have or don’t have. The TeraFlex 4” lift has an increase of about 5.25” in the front and 4.25” on the rear. Some lift companies label their lift based on average front and rear lift and some by the front lift increase. Lift height is one factor that you need to pin point before solving this issue, it affects everything. With that said we have installed this kit on our 3” kits which have a front lift increase of 4.25” on a 4 door with good success but we don’t market it as a preferred application. The sweet spot for this Flip kit is the 6 inch lift but we have had excellent results on our 4” lift kits, especially long arm applications. Yes you may get a little steering wheel movement which may be more noticeable with softer spring rates and shocks but with the TeraFlex package its minimal and has not been an issue as far as function or performance.
My advice would be one of two things:
Remove the flip kit and return it for a refund and then work with Rusty to help get the Jeep the way you want it with his experience. Rusty’s lift recipe is fundamentally different than the TeraFlex one. But if anyone can get a Rusty’s lift working the way they designed it, Rusty can.
Second choice would be to establish your lift height and then look at a TeraFlex lift with a comparable actual height. See what components are different or missing and fill in the holes. You will probably need to increase the ride height a little more. We will be happy to work some special prices on the needed components to help you get this behind you.
I have complete confidence in the quality, engineering and performance of our TeraFlex JK lifts the way we package them. We have proven these kits in Moab and every other off road environment including days of testing on the proving ground at Jeep Corp. in Michigan with seasoned suspension/drivability engineers.
Well said. I could not agree more. And thank you for being so gracious. I have used your products in the past, and have always loved the quality. This system simply did not work for my application. I can see how it would would well with a 6" long arm system and drive very nice.

Great idea, more is always better. In order to fill in the gap with the Teraflex kit I believe I would need the following:

all 4 springs, rear sway bar extensions, shocks, and possible a rear track bar bracket. Anything I am missing? Feel free to e-mail me direct: zip@dzine4u.com.

Once again, thank you for the honesty, and supporting your customers.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said. I could not agree more. And thank you for being so gracious. I have used your products in the past, and have always loved the quality. This system simply did not work for my application. I can see how it would would well with a 6" long arm system and drive very nice.

Great idea, more is always better. In order to fill in the gap with the Teraflex kit I believe I would need the following:

all 4 springs, rear sway bar extensions, shocks, and possible a rear track bar bracket. Anything I am missing? Feel free to e-mail me direct: zip@dzine4u.com.

Once again, thank you for the honesty, and supporting your customers.
I will be sending a email to you soon.

Quick Reply: Steering problems PLEASE HELP!!