Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering problems PLEASE HELP!!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering problems PLEASE HELP!!

This thing is fine on hwy and smooth roads but anything uneven or when you hit a bump the steering wheel pulls back and forth. Uneven roads are the worse. I have the drag link flip kit by Tereflex.

I can bounce on front bumper and make my steering wheel move side to side. I know this has something to do with it. Any suggestion????
Old 10-29-2009, 07:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your trakbar broke, bolts loose or the trackbar bushings shot?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nope I don't even have a 1000 miles on it yet!!
Old 10-29-2009, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have the same issue. still not resolved yet but haven't had time/ energy to mess with it anymore. i'm wondering if the TRE's or ball joints are the culprit with mine. Zip's having issues with his as well.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I sure wish we could figure this thing out. Its a pain and hard to get use to. I also hate when someone else drives it and after all this money we have thrown into these things they say wow that drives like crap!!! Sometimes I think there can be too much adjustability on these things!!!! Too many variables.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

adjustability is good. my problem is i'm outa money and i don't have near what you have into yours. looks good BTW.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jkrubi09
This thing is fine on hwy and smooth roads but anything uneven or when you hit a bump the steering wheel pulls back and forth. Uneven roads are the worse. I have the drag link flip kit by Tereflex.

I can bounce on front bumper and make my steering wheel move side to side. I know this has something to do with it. Any suggestion????
I didn't see what lift and components you have, other than the flip kit. The more common items are trackbar not torqued tight enough, wallowed out trackbar holes, caster too low (you have adjustable ca's?), tire psi too high, etc.

But this
anything uneven or when you hit a bump the steering wheel pulls back and forth. Uneven roads are the worse
sounds like most of the other Caster related posts...

Then again, from reading what you two have said, it's something beyond the normal filghty/bumpsteer issues, isn't it.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-29-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

sounds like bump steer. you need to be sure your drag link and track bar are parallel. if you changed your drag link's lower mounting point and didn't do anything with your track bar PRESTO! you get bump steer. the remedy would be a dropped pitman arm or an axle or frame mounted track bar relocation bracket. either way, you need to get that track bar as close to parallel with the drag link as you can and your problem will be solved

Last edited by JCKnauer22; 10-29-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Everything I have is Tereflex so shouldn't they have designed something to work with this??? Tereflex lift, trackbars, adj arms, etc. What kind of axle mounted track bar bracket are you talking about?????

Thanks everyone for the input. Thats what makes this forum GREAT!!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

to the others, the TF high steer kit comes with a drop bracket for the front tracbar to match the angles of the flipped drag link. after installing mine, the bump steer was very much improved.

Quick Reply: Steering problems PLEASE HELP!!