Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Problems (long sorry)

Old 11-01-2009, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh and it raining and i just moved from my house in NC to an Apst in VA so i have no tools or place to do it until i go to work tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:23 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your noticing a difference when tightening the trackbar, I'd say start there.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You should also pull the trackbar and make sure the holes aren't wallowing out.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You should also pull the trackbar and make sure the holes aren't wallowing out.
Are there bushings in there? I haven't bothered to notice. If so are they replaceable? I guess ~$200 isn't a bad price for a new track bar though there are other things I need that I would have to wait on, oh well.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on the track bar holes. Mine wallowed out from loose bolts and I had to weld washers to them.

We are talking about the holes the track bar bolt goes through on the axle and frame mounts.

Also while you have the track bar off check the rubber bushings with a screw driver through the sleeve. Pull on it and see if the rubber bushing is seperating from the track bar itself.

Do you have bad shaking over bumps?

If all the check out my bet is on a bad box or steering shaft. These boxes are known to develop slop, especially with larger tires.

Have someone rock the steering wheel back and forth while you lie under the box and look for lateral play of the sector shaft (the shaft that comes out of the box and connects to the pitman arm)

I have already had one box replaced.

I might add that I think the steering setup on these Jeeps have many steering flaws. I am not the only ones. Reading the AEV forums, the AEV guys seem to think so as well.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

Default Help with castor

I read the write ups and still am lost my driver castor is 7 rear of c is lower to the ground. The passanger side is at 0. do I need to lengthen the LCA or shorten it? It does not seem like I can shorten it anymore.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Gcollura
I read the write ups and still am lost my driver castor is 7 rear of c is lower to the ground. The passanger side is at 0. do I need to lengthen the LCA or shorten it? It does not seem like I can shorten it anymore.
For lowers, you lengthen them to increase caster angle.
For uppers, you shorten.

Measure both arms eye to eye and see what you come out with. Probably just need to lengthen that passenger arm 3 or 4 full turns. (if they are currently the same length, though, something may be bent?)
Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said tightening a couple things like the rear track bar helped the loose end.

Did you go through the undercarriage and retorque everything?

As you experienced, simple retightening can make a huge difference, not just in the handling and ride, but in the durability of parts.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:40 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
For lowers, you lengthen them to increase caster angle.
For uppers, you shorten.

Measure both arms eye to eye and see what you come out with. Probably just need to lengthen that passenger arm 3 or 4 full turns. (if they are currently the same length, though, something may be bent?)

Thanks. I was able to get the passenger side to 2 and gave up trying to rotate the axle. I will try again tonight. It does not look like any thing is bent plus I have 3k miles and only been offroad once with nothing hard core. Should I worrry about how much thread is showing on one side versus the other. Right now the driver side barely has any threads showing after the jam nut but the passenger side has about 1/2 inch of thread showing after the jam nut?

Last edited by Gcollura; 11-12-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

So i got under it (put it on a lift) and torqued both track bars to 125ft/lbs, and took a look over everything. Took it for a ride and still felt the same. So i was pretty pissed. This was monday. So yesterday I was on the way home from work, and stopped at a gas station and put some air in the tires, and magic, it's better. The gauge on the free air wasn't the best so im not exactly sure how much was in there to begin with, and how much i put in and what its at now so i will hve to buy a gauge and check them again. I'm guessing they are close to 35lbs right now, and was around 30 before. What should I be running them at? I think i might get some better gas milage now too.

Quick Reply: Steering Problems (long sorry)