Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Problems (long sorry)

Old 11-01-2009, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Problems (long sorry)

Since I have put my lift kit on I have noticed steering problems coming and going. First off I went from stock X to 33" X 12.50 tires. After this I did not notice much of a difference in the steering. In July I installed a Skyjacker 2.5 lift(4 door lift on a 2 door, so somewhere around 3" total lift) with springs and shocks. I also installed JKS 0"-3" adjustable quick disconnects and TF extended break lines. The weekend i installed the lift I drove from NC to VA and during the trip I noticed the rear end felt a little loose so i went through and tightened up the rear track bar bolt on the axle side and that seemed to do the trick. I then noticed while driving that there was a pretty bad response in the steering wheel. I checked the ront track bar bolt and it seemed to be a little better after. The following weekend I went off roading and broke my stock steering stabilizer in half and drove about 2-3 weeks without one. I then ordered a relocation bracket and a skyjacker steering stabilizer. After installing it i noticed right away it felt better. But once again now 2-3 weeks later I started having problems again. Thurs i removed the front track bar bolt and put loctite on it and torqued it down. I noticed a difference for about 1/2 day and now its getting worse. I honestly am afraid to drive the damn thing because i feel like im going to crash it. There seems to be so much slop in the steering that the jeep drifts in the lane and is hard to control. There is a few degrees of slop in the whel and i can drive at speed, like 65, and move the wheel side to side win no response at all from the jeep. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by Robar; 11-11-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Edited blacklisted manufacturer
Old 11-01-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Boy, this is a tough one because of so many changes. Here are my suggestions:

1 - check your tow, wandering is sometimes a sign of being towed out.

2 - Caster, do you have adjustable lower arms on the front to get your caster back?

The above combo can really make your jeep bounce all over the place.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does your front trackbar have a relocate bracket on the axle or frame? Are you torqing the tb to 125ft lbs?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies guys!

Originally Posted by PeeJ_Zip
Boy, this is a tough one because of so many changes. Here are my suggestions:

1 - check your tow, wandering is sometimes a sign of being towed out.

2 - Caster, do you have adjustable lower arms on the front to get your caster back?

The above combo can really make your jeep bounce all over the place.
The wandering is a result of the lack of "tightness" in the steering wheel and not being able to hold the wheel straight to keep the jeep straight. No to adjustable control arms.

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Does your front trackbar have a relocate bracket on the axle or frame? Are you torqing the tb to 125ft lbs?
I have a rear relo bracket but not front. I have not been able to get a torque wrench on there yet, but have had someone help me get as much on it as we could, along with the loctite so it won't come loose.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by jdredrock

I have a rear relo bracket but not front. I have not been able to get a torque wrench on there yet, but have had someone help me get as much on it as we could, along with the loctite so it won't come loose.
It's gotta be tightened down to 125 ft lbs, with locktight, it may not come off, but it still may not be tight enough. Did you tighten with the tires on the ground?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's gotta be tightened down to 125 ft lbs, with locktight, it may not come off, but it still may not be tight enough. Did you tighten with the tires on the ground?

I did tighten with the tires on the ground, is that how you are supposed to do it? I will get a torque wrench on it asap. is this both sides, axle and frame?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:10 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by jdredrock
I did tighten with the tires on the ground, is that how you are supposed to do it? I will get a torque wrench on it asap. is this both sides, axle and frame?
Yep, tires on the ground, both sides. Also , as for as the slop in the steering wheel, did you have the steering clunk before the lift? Did you change tires with the lift, as said before, have you checked the toe on the tires?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im voting caster... you need arms.. shortening upper or lengthening lowers will make your jeep want to drive straight down the highway and not wander.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:18 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by racer83l
Im voting caster... you need arms.. shortening upper or lengthening lowers will make your jeep want to drive straight down the highway and not wander.
Checked his profile, 2dr, right? 3in in the front is better to have adj arms for castor, BUT, he did say it improved after tightening down the trackbar , but only lasted 1/2 a day. So.... I think he needs a torque wrench.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yep, tires on the ground, both sides. Also , as for as the slop in the steering wheel, did you have the steering clunk before the lift? Did you change tires with the lift, as said before, have you checked the toe on the tires?
Without you describing it, i would have to say yes from what i can tell. I did the tires before the lift and did not seem to have any of the problems. I have not checked the toe, but i don't think the "drifting" is a result of that. Its more because of the lack of control i have in the first few degrees of the wheel in either direction. not actually having control of the jeep while trying to hold the wheel in the center.

Quick Reply: Steering Problems (long sorry)