Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Pop

Old 01-24-2012, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Pop

When making slow harder left turns I am hearing a pop. I recently had an alignment and the shop said my ball joints were good. Any idea what this may be everything looks alright and is tight.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:46 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

just a single pop or, if you keep on turning, does it keep on popping?
Old 01-24-2012, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its just one pop.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:48 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by dmick33
Its just one pop.
can you feel the pop? does it happen just as you're accelerating or do you have to be rolling a bit. more information would be helpful here.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

It only happens when I am rolling above maybe 5 and on 90 turns. It seems to really do it when I hit a slight bump in the turn but also does it on smooth roads as well. I looked around and cant find a rub anywhere or anything that seems to be loose. The tie rod does have some play but the dealership said thats normal.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:10 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by dmick33
It only happens when I am rolling above maybe 5 and on 90 turns. It seems to really do it when I hit a slight bump in the turn but also does it on smooth roads as well. I looked around and cant find a rub anywhere or anything that seems to be loose. The tie rod does have some play but the dealership said thats normal.
well, if it's a single pop, it's most likely not a rubbing issue as if that were the case, you would here popping until you stopped turning. more than likely, something is shifting or catching on something. after a certain point, whatever is holding it up releases and then you hear the pop. at a full stop, try having someone turn your steering wheel and hold it in at about the position it would normally be when making a turn that would cause the pop. look around at your track bar, your coils, shocks, steering stabilizer, drag link, etc and see if there's anything catching or even sitting real close to something else. that might help you to track it down. i would also check your front axle shaft u-joints to see if they have any cracks in the bearing cap seals. i doubt this is your problem but, if one were to be failing, you would hear a soft pop or click when moving forward and turning. just something else to check. play in your tre's is normal.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem - it was the sway bar link being slightly loose on the driver's side. I guess it was slipping in the joint and causing it to "pop"... Tightened it and viola!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:46 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by SB5700
I had a similar problem - it was the sway bar link being slightly loose on the driver's side. I guess it was slipping in the joint and causing it to "pop"... Tightened it and viola!
LOL!! that's a good one to check. back in late 2006-07, i had seen this on stock jk's right off the lot.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SB5700
I just had this problem last weekend. I had someone shake my Jeep side to side and I could actually see the bolt moving freely in the sway bar hole, causing it to make some popping sounds.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a similar issue when I make slow right turns. I think its steering related because it locked up once. I need to fix it asap.
On the sway bar issue, that sounds more like a clunk than a pop. If it makes the sound over say a bumpy road, thats your links. No matter how lose my links have been, I've never heard the sound while turning though.

Last edited by ChopN; 01-24-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering Pop