Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

steering linkage

Old 03-02-2016, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool steering linkage

installing a 3" suspension lift for my 2007 JK Unlimited and was wondering if I needed to upgrade my strock steering linkage or can do it later, Any help would be great
Old 03-02-2016, 05:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

What components come with the lift? And are you referring to heavier duty replacement parts, or a flip, or something else?
Old 03-02-2016, 09:04 PM
JK Newbie

You can always upgrade it later. I did it at the time I put on my 3.5" (really 4") lift. If it's not in the budget right now, I would just install the lift and see how she drives. If you get some bumpsteer that annoys you, then go with a drag link flip.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:05 PM
JK Newbie

And welcome to the forum fej68.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:03 AM
JK Newbie

Thanx to the replies appreciated. My lift is a 3" zone suspension lift with shocks, springs, some brackets and rear sway bar disconnects. I watched a video from zone and that also helped out.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:34 AM
JK Junkie

Drag link i assume ? You are prob better off saving up for a flip kit. See how she handles first though.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Caster - Did you order the cams? Before installing them, do some reading on the various forms of caster correction. AEV and Rancho control arm brackets are popular, some people like longer/shorter fixed control arms, I would suggest spending a bit more for a set of adjustable lowers. But at least do some reading so you know what to expect.

Steering - heavier duty components are nice, but the stock stuff works, just leave it alone until you find a reason to replace. If at some point in the future you consider steering correction (to flatten the angles on the trackbar and draglink), look at a draglink flip with an axle bracket, instead of a cheaper drop pitman with a frame bracket.

Axle centering - If you want to center the front axle, get an adj trackbar, not a relo bracket (as noted above, front brackets are used along with drop pitmans or d/l flips). For the rear, the lift comes with a frame drop bracket. There is a bunch of force applied to those brackets, so many will suggest buying a decent reinforced bracket raised from the axle instead. Welded or ubolts around the tube are popular.

Quick Reply: steering linkage