Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering issues, loose feeling.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering issues, loose feeling.

Hey fellow jeepers, My jeep started having a really loose feeling in the steering. I do have some up and down play in my drag link ends. Will this cause that feeling? Replaced my track bar with adjustable one, welded grade 8 washers and changed to 9/16 grade 8 bolts cause of death wobble. That's all good now. And will this loose feeling cause the bolt holes to get wallowed out?
Old 10-28-2015, 09:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Check ball joints too. Mine are currently going south and I'm getting a rougher ride, sloppy when hitting bumps, steering while driving is loose feeling, and it's causing my steering wheel center to be off everything I adjust it and wheel it. I have to go back and dial it back in.

Is your tie rod good? Anything that's bad can have the potential to wear something else out
Old 10-29-2015, 05:17 AM
JK Newbie

Tie rods are good but when I checked the drag link again not only is there up and down play in the steering link end but side to side play in the pitman arm end. Yikes..... lol.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

I just replaced my factory RHD drag link cause it was poppin up and down like you described but that didn't help... New unit bearings is what fixed my problem. OG's from 07 were shot to shit at 70k mi.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkRich
Hey fellow jeepers, My jeep started having a really loose feeling in the steering. I do have some up and down play in my drag link ends. Will this cause that feeling? Replaced my track bar with adjustable one, welded grade 8 washers and changed to 9/16 grade 8 bolts cause of death wobble. That's all good now. And will this loose feeling cause the bolt holes to get wallowed out?
In your profile it says you have the rc 3.5 lift. If that is your lift was there any caster correction included in the kit? Control arms, drop brackets, cam bolts etc.....? Your loose steering symptoms is pretty text book for having low caster. If your lift didnt come with any caster correction at that height it will ride like shit. Have you measured your caster or gotten alignment numbers?
Old 10-29-2015, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Yes came with lower control arms it didn't use to ride like this just started slowly then boom death wobble. I figure it was worn drag link ends that wollowed the track bar bolt holes and when I put new wheels and tires "went from 8 inch wheels to 10s" it showed more.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:09 PM
JK Newbie

Oh and yes drop brackets for the track bars front and rear.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

And a drop pitman to go with the front bracket? Have you verified torque on that bolt?

Didn't see it mentioned, but have you gone through Planmans diagnosis a few times? (stuck to the top of the writeups area)
Old 10-29-2015, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was referring to control arm drop brackets. Does the wobble only happen at a certain speed range? You said you put new wheels and tires on. If they weren't properly balanced after it could be a tire balance issue. Also I'm not a fan of tracbar drop brackets. It's better to raise the tracbar from the axle. When you do this you need to flip the draglink on top of the steering knuckle at the same time for correct steering geometry. If you have the dropped pitman arm installed that came with that kit that is also putting a lot of leverage on your sector shaft. Not saying it's the cause of your wobbles but it sure doesn't help with handling. I would start by making sure your tires are balanced. Then I would remove those drop brackets and dropped pitman arm and add the proper axle raised brackets along with a draglink flip. Last I would get alignment numbers to make sure your caster and toe are correct. I would also do the dry steering test to check for worn bushings and tie rod ends

Quick Reply: Steering issues, loose feeling.