Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering issues after Front axle truss & ball joint install

Old 03-24-2014, 03:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha90
What is your Fox ATS set to? I know they are adjustable but can you have it set to harsh that the power steering can't correct?
thats my thinking. Its set a bit too "firm" and is slowing its return to center. Turn that knob down a bit.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 169 Likes on 144 Posts

What is your Fox ATS set to? I know they are adjustable but can you have it set to harsh that the power steering can't correct?
Originally Posted by D_engel
thats my thinking. Its set a bit too "firm" and is slowing its return to center. Turn that knob down a bit.
In the first post he said he removed it with no change in the symptoms.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried adjusting it all the way firm and all the way counter clockwise and a few settings in the middle. Nothing helped. I then completely removed the steering stabilizer and test drove with nothing and the oversteer was still present.

Originally Posted by jnabird333
I think you might be on to it... Doesn't the Artec truss kit raise the track bar mount location? If so you will need to flip the drag link.
I chose not to add the raised track bar mount until I have the money saved for a drag link flip and/or new steering knuckles. The fab guy that did my welding agreed and said he could easily weld up the track bar bracket at a later date with out removing the axle housing again.
I was on a dirt road when I took that pic, not exactly level. I havent noticed any bump steer.

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Sort of, and yes.

Up in the writeups area, you will find an index at the top. There is a DIY Alignment writeup in both the Steering and Troubleshooting areas. If the links are still broke, just scroll down. The Caster section shows a method using a cheap angle finder. This will not be as accurate as an alignment machine, but will get you some ballpark numbers to go on. (there is a more accurate location than the writeup shows, but I actually don't recall where it is. Maybe the pinion output? I'm sure someone will confirm the other location)

There have been quite a few posts indicating that the steering was very tight after new ball joints, and that it took a week or two, or a thousand miles or so, to loosen back up. Can't say for certain that that is what you are feeling, but it is not uncommon.

And if you have any local shops that offer free alignment checks, it wouldn't be a bad idea just to go in and get the numbers. Then you can post them to get some feedback on whether you want to do anything else.
I've got about 150 miles on them now. Thanks for the info. I will look into some shops that offer cheap alignment checks.

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I just installed Synergy BJs a couple weeks ago and had no steering problems. Suggest you align your Jeep following the procedures here. You can do this at home. You'll need basic tools and an angle finder, which any hardware store can sell you ...

wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment
Thanks for the link when I get off shift I will try to align it on the bay floor, that's probably gunna be the levelest surface I've got.
I am just surprised that it tracked down the road perfectly fine before this latest round of mods.

Last edited by rbeezy05; 03-24-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

I know when I installed my new Synergy Ball joints that the steering was very tight and it seemed that I was constantly having to turn the wheel to get it back to center. Now after 6000 miles on them they are smooth as silk and the steering returns to center with no effort. I did the axle reinforcement and "C" braces at the same time and thought that maybe I had warped the tubes or "C's" but that wasn't the case, just takes a while for the ball joints to settle in and loosen up. I have had zero issues with the new ball joints compared to the stock POS joints. Now if they would only make unit bearings that will last with 35+ tires
Old 04-14-2014, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through the same exact issue as the op is having with my steering not returning to center. At first I thought it was my caster nope caster is set to almost 6 degrees. Then I thought it was my fox ats being set to high. removed it and it did not fix the problem. Then removed my tie rod and draglink from the knuckles. Turned the knuckle on my driver side by hand and felt no resistance. Then went to the passenger side and sure as shit it was my 10k mile old synergy balljoints binding up. Replaced them with moogs at the auto store down the block and drives much better no more oversteer but steering is still a little slow returning to center. it was more than likely install error not following the torque procedure on the ball joint install. OP it is your balljoints causing the issue. Give them 1k miles to break in and if your still having issues you may have torqued them incorrectly and its causing binding
Old 04-14-2014, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rbeezy05
I try not to repost or ask useless questions until I have searched and attempted to fix on my own, but I am desperate and need help. Here is the low down...

I just finished up my front axle "semi" build which consisted of Artec truss, artect c gussets, inner axle seals, jks adj. bump stops, synergy hd ball joints, arb diff cover and fox ATS stabilizer. I also added some spidertrax spacers during the re-assembly.
The issue: now currently driving at any speed the steering never wants to return to center. I don't think I have a bump steer issue, this seems more like a wonder or pull but it happens to the left and the right. In other words, oversteer, if I turn left the vehicle wants to continue going left until the steering wheel is over corrected back to the right and if I turn right the vehicle continues to pull to the right until the steering wheel is over corrected back to the left.
This issue was not present before the axle build up and ball joint install.
Tire pressure is 30 psi.
I removed the spidertrax= no change.
I removed the fox ATS= no change.
RK LCA & trac bar is set to RK spec, so I assume caster is okay.
I've re-torqued all suspension components front and rear.

As stated above the jeep drove straight as an arrow before I did the axle work and angles were in spec when the last alignment was done 3k miles ago.
Have I missed anything?
Should I pay to have an alignment done to check caster?

Thanks.

Also, all of the products listed that I have installed have a great reputation and I don't think my issues are a manufacture defect, probably leaning more towards something I did during the install
First off...nice Jeep man. Like my twin!

I had the exact same issue albeit not a Jeep but on my lifted Dodge diesel.
I replaced the ball joints some cheap Moogs and same exact oversteer symptoms you're describing.
Gave them about 5k miles to break in and no change.
Swapped them for some Dynatracs and it completely fixed it.
Did I not do something right the first time and just happened to the second or was it manufacturer based.....who knows.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Old 04-14-2014, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

Default The eyes have it!

The way I check caster is by the 2 indexing eyes along side the pumpkin.

]===O({})O=[
.____^___ ^___

Those circles are perfectly vertical (90 degrees) when the caster is set to factory spec. (Assuming your shop floor is level.)

A simple bubble level is all you need to set caster. If you must have a clinometer don't waste your time and money on a cheap plastic dial type that you can't read closer than a degree.

I use the free app XClinometer for my android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ode.clinometer

iTunes sells the iPhone version for $1.99
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/clin...286215117?mt=8

Very accurate, calibrate able, digital precision, many features. A must have.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee

]===O({})O=[
.____^___ ^___

Those circles are perfectly vertical (90 degrees) when the caster is set to factory spec. (Assuming your shop floor is level.)

A simple bubble level is all you need to set caster. If you must have a clinometer don't waste your time and money on a cheap plastic dial type that you can't read closer than a degree.

Great info...

Old 04-14-2014, 06:55 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Monte417
I just went through the same exact issue as the op is having with my steering not returning to center. At first I thought it was my caster nope caster is set to almost 6 degrees. Then I thought it was my fox ats being set to high. removed it and it did not fix the problem. Then removed my tie rod and draglink from the knuckles. Turned the knuckle on my driver side by hand and felt no resistance. Then went to the passenger side and sure as shit it was my 10k mile old synergy balljoints binding up. Replaced them with moogs at the auto store down the block and drives much better no more oversteer but steering is still a little slow returning to center. it was more than likely install error not following the torque procedure on the ball joint install. OP it is your balljoints causing the issue. Give them 1k miles to break in and if your still having issues you may have torqued them incorrectly and its causing binding
Hmm interesting. I did not think this could happen.
My steering is Ok. Tight but a little lazy returning to center like some describe.
I chalked it up to lower caster needed to run a double carden.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Monte417
I retorqued them and I've put 800 miles on them now, and the steering feels a little better (or I'm just getting used to it )

Originally Posted by JayswranglerX
First off...nice Jeep man. Like my twin!

I had the exact same issue albeit not a Jeep but on my lifted Dodge diesel.
I replaced the ball joints some cheap Moogs and same exact oversteer symptoms you're describing.
Gave them about 5k miles to break in and no change.
Swapped them for some Dynatracs and it completely fixed it.
Did I not do something right the first time and just happened to the second or was it manufacturer based.....who knows.

Thanks! Hopefully I won't have to replace them. The syngergys aren't cheap...

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee

]===O({})O=[
.____^___ ^___

Thanks for the info, I'm using a free angle finder app. Not nearly as nice as the one you mentioned above. i may spend the $2 for it. I had to take a few measurements on different areas of my garage floor due to not quite being level but all the caster angles I measured were close to or just over 6 degrees.

Quick Reply: Steering issues after Front axle truss & ball joint install