Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering issues after Front axle truss & ball joint install

Old 03-24-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering issues after Front axle truss & ball joint install

I try not to repost or ask useless questions until I have searched and attempted to fix on my own, but I am desperate and need help. Here is the low down...

I just finished up my front axle "semi" build which consisted of Artec truss, artect c gussets, inner axle seals, jks adj. bump stops, synergy hd ball joints, arb diff cover and fox ATS stabilizer. I also added some spidertrax spacers during the re-assembly.
The issue: now currently driving at any speed the steering never wants to return to center. I don't think I have a bump steer issue, this seems more like a wonder or pull but it happens to the left and the right. In other words, oversteer, if I turn left the vehicle wants to continue going left until the steering wheel is over corrected back to the right and if I turn right the vehicle continues to pull to the right until the steering wheel is over corrected back to the left.
This issue was not present before the axle build up and ball joint install.
Tire pressure is 30 psi.
I removed the spidertrax= no change.
I removed the fox ATS= no change.
RK LCA & trac bar is set to RK spec, so I assume caster is okay.
I've re-torqued all suspension components front and rear.

As stated above the jeep drove straight as an arrow before I did the axle work and angles were in spec when the last alignment was done 3k miles ago.
Have I missed anything?
Should I pay to have an alignment done to check caster?

Thanks.

Also, all of the products listed that I have installed have a great reputation and I don't think my issues are a manufacture defect, probably leaning more towards something I did during the install
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2405
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	540222   Click image for larger version

Views:	406
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	540223   Click image for larger version

Views:	322
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	540224   Click image for larger version

Views:	328
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	540225  

Last edited by rbeezy05; 03-24-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

You may have less than adequate caster after the lift. That, coupled with new ball joints that may not want to spin easily, will fight the self-centering force after making a turn.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by rbeezy05
RK LCA & trac bar is set to RK spec, so I assume caster is okay.
Pardon my ignorance, but exactly how does RK specify to set caster? I ask because some kits just have a length measurement for the control arms just to get you started, but you're expected to set the angle properly after the install is finished. Also, any control arms/trackbars that you loosened during the job were not torqued down until after the Jeep was back on the ground with all four wheels, right?
Old 03-24-2014, 12:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Wow, that drag link is sure at a steep angle ...

Old 03-24-2014, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Wow, that drag link is sure at a steep angle ...

I think you might be on to it... Doesn't the Artec truss kit raise the track bar mount location? If so you will need to flip the drag link.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jnabird333
I think you might be on to it... Doesn't the Artec truss kit raise the track bar mount location? If so you will need to flip the drag link.
Nevermind.... I looked at your pictures again and noticed you didn't raise the track bar mount. While it's less than ideal, it should be okay....
Old 03-24-2014, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Pardon my ignorance, but exactly how does RK specify to set caster? I ask because some kits just have a length measurement for the control arms just to get you started, but you're expected to set the angle properly after the install is finished. Also, any control arms/trackbars that you loosened during the job were not torqued down until after the Jeep was back on the ground with all four wheels, right?
More like ignorance on my part you are correct the RK spec is to set the length of the control arms, which I thought (that's what I get for assuming) was to set caster and pinion angles. The suspension was torqued on the ground after jostling the corners a bit.
Is there an accurate method for checking angles myself, or should I have it aligned?
Is there a break in period for new ball joints?

Thanks for the info and help.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is your Fox ATS set to? I know they are adjustable but can you have it set to harsh that the power steering can't correct?
Old 03-24-2014, 01:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Is there an accurate method for checking angles myself, or should I have it aligned?
Sort of, and yes.

Up in the writeups area, you will find an index at the top. There is a DIY Alignment writeup in both the Steering and Troubleshooting areas. If the links are still broke, just scroll down. The Caster section shows a method using a cheap angle finder. This will not be as accurate as an alignment machine, but will get you some ballpark numbers to go on. (there is a more accurate location than the writeup shows, but I actually don't recall where it is. Maybe the pinion output? I'm sure someone will confirm the other location)

There have been quite a few posts indicating that the steering was very tight after new ball joints, and that it took a week or two, or a thousand miles or so, to loosen back up. Can't say for certain that that is what you are feeling, but it is not uncommon.

And if you have any local shops that offer free alignment checks, it wouldn't be a bad idea just to go in and get the numbers. Then you can post them to get some feedback on whether you want to do anything else.

Last edited by nthinuf; 03-24-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

More like ignorance on my part you are correct the RK spec is to set the length of the control arms, which I thought (that's what I get for assuming) was to set caster and pinion angles. The suspension was torqued on the ground after jostling the corners a bit.

Thanks for the info and help.
I just installed Synergy BJs a couple weeks ago and had no steering problems. Suggest you align your Jeep following the procedures here. You can do this at home. You'll need basic tools and an angle finder, which any hardware store can sell you ...

wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

Quick Reply: Steering issues after Front axle truss & ball joint install