Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering issues after changing tires

Old 11-18-2015, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering issues after changing tires

I just put 33 12.5 Mastercraft Courser MXT mud tires on my 2015 JK today. Now the steering seems very bouncy for a lack of a better word. The steering wheel has very little play. Is this normal and is there anything I could do to get an easier drive while sporting aggressive looking tires. I LOVE my Jeep, but have little to no car knowledge what so ever, so you may need to dumb it down for me...
Old 11-18-2015, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check the tire pressure. Try it about 28-30 psi
Old 11-18-2015, 11:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Search on 'chalk test'.

Shops tend of over-inflate. People generally like lower and lower pressures as tire size increases. Many of the tires we move to have higher load rates and/or stiffer sidewalls than stock tires. Wider tires may feel/handle differently than narrow stock tires. Whatever else.

A chalk test should give a good indication of where 'your' tires should be, which is not necessarily the psi I run my tires at, or what the generic recommendation is, or.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:56 AM
JK Super Freak

I went from Duratrac's to the Mastercraft MXT. After 3 alignments and rotating tires left to right, front to back, checking air pressure, etc. the jeep still pulled to right. In the process of returning and getting new Duratrac's put on. Will see if tires or jeep! Love the look and price of the MXT's!!!! I would say if going from stock to almost 11" wide tire, that might be an "E" rated tire. It will handle different. Start with tire pressure.

Last edited by GunDude; 11-19-2015 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GunDude
I went from Duratrac's to the Mastercraft MXT. After 3 alignments and rotating tires left to right, front to back, checking air pressure, etc. the jeep still pulled to right. In the process of returning and getting new Duratrac's put on. Will see if tires or jeep! Love the look and price of the MXT's!!!! I would say if going from stock to almost 11" wide tire, that might be an "E" rated tire. It will handle different. Start with tire pressure.

I was at northridge last summer pickin up a few goodies and there was a gal in there with a TJ with these tires. She was having handling issues so northridge performed multiple alignments, double checked everything, and still couldn't correct things. Started playing with tire rotation and was getting all kinds of inconsistent results. They finally sent her on her way stating the tires were the result of her handling issues and there wasn't anything they could do.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:10 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same issue with my 33" Courser MXT's. We determined it was the nature of the tire being a radial pull to the right. I ended up switching to BFG KM2's and they didn't have that issue.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:31 AM
JK Super Freak

It is in shop now getting the brand new MXT swapped out for Duratrac's! See, then if jeep or was tires?
Old 11-19-2015, 01:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GunDude
It is in shop now getting the brand new MXT swapped out for Duratrac's! See, then if jeep or was tires?
Update. Test drive with new Duratrac's is positive! No more pull to right!
Old 11-19-2015, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jawn_wong
I had the same issue with my 33" Courser MXT's. We determined it was the nature of the tire being a radial pull to the right. I ended up switching to BFG KM2's and they didn't have that issue.
The KM2 is also a radial so being a radial isn't the reason.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Most tires are radials.

Very few bias ply tires on the road anymore.

Quick Reply: Steering issues after changing tires