Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Issues

Old 11-11-2010, 12:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Issues

I just recently put on a 4" lift and also added dual steering stabilizers. Since then my steering has been off. Afterwards I took it by the shop to get a front end alignment done. The test showed everything was even, but it still seems to be pulling to the right. How would I fix this??? Also another concern I have is since I put the lift and bigger tires on it, it seems to have thrown the ESP all outta wack. I will be driving down the road and hit a small bump and the ESP kicks on and tries to correct it and winds up throwing the Jeep all over the place. I read in the owners manual that you can disengage the ESP permenantly. How do you think that will effect the ride then??? Better or worse??? If you have any suggestions I would be grateful....thanks alot.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

is your steering wheel off center? Did you get an adjustable track bar or track bar brackets with the lift? Sounds to me like your steering wheel is not aligned which causes the esp to go crazy.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum! Did you flash the ECU when you installed larger tires?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:59 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I just recently put on a 4" lift
The super cheapo RC lift with brackets and a drop pitman arm, right? How are the angles up front? Not very parallel to each other I'd guess...

I will be driving down the road and hit a small bump and the ESP kicks on and tries to correct it and winds up throwing the Jeep all over the place.
Are you sure it's the ESP? Sounds like bumpsteer from not being set up correctly.

What are the specs from the alignment? You have Cams installed, right? I would guess that the caster is low in addition to anything going on from the drop bracket.

If you get a chance, snap a pic of the front end and post it. (similar to the shot in the pic on top of this one)
http://project-jk.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=49335

The test showed everything was even, but it still seems to be pulling to the right. How would I fix this???
If you have adjustable ca's, you can set the right side a bit longer to counteract the pull. (this moves the passenger side of the axle further forward than the driver side)

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-11-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do know if you have not programed the new tire size or improper tire size it can make the ESP do all kinds of crazy stuff. All the math that the little computer does is baised off of speed/rpms of the wheels etc.

I personaly have a shimmy in my steering wheel and a slight pull to the right. Once i programmed the proper tire size it fixed some of the other issues of going over bumps and pulling hard one way or another. Putting in a Teraflex steering stablizer helped some also.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Adjust drag link?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

is your steering wheel off center?
Adjust drag link?
An off-center steering wheel would cause the esp to go off in turns, his issue sounds more like bumpsteer from improper geometries.

Doesn't hurt to check it though...
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Old 11-12-2010, 01:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The super cheapo RC lift with brackets and a drop pitman arm, right? How are the angles up front? Not very parallel to each other I'd guess...

Are you sure it's the ESP? Sounds like bumpsteer from not being set up correctly.

What are the specs from the alignment? You have Cams installed, right? I would guess that the caster is low in addition to anything going on from the drop bracket.

If you get a chance, snap a pic of the front end and post it. (similar to the shot in the pic on top of this one)
http://project-jk.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=49335

If you have adjustable ca's, you can set the right side a bit longer to counteract the pull. (this moves the passenger side of the axle further forward than the driver side)

Hey man I'm new to all this..lol. you just confused the s$%^ out of me..lol. This was the first big thing I have ever done to my jeep. Anyways I was checking with other forums as well and I'm guessing it's the drag link, it just needs to be readjusted again. Also I have a front track bar on order, so that should help it out. Once I get that in I read that the tow in should be adjusted..... after I do all this I'm hoping it will solve the problem.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U do not need to reprogram your speedometer when u get new tires. I have had my 305-7-17s on for 6 months and my ESP has NEVER gone off and I didnt bother spending the extra money on the programer.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by maroonjk2009
Hey man I'm new to all this..lol. you just confused the s$%^ out of me..lol. This was the first big thing I have ever done to my jeep. Anyways I was checking with other forums as well and I'm guessing it's the drag link, it just needs to be readjusted again. Also I have a front track bar on order, so that should help it out. Once I get that in I read that the tow in should be adjusted..... after I do all this I'm hoping it will solve the problem.
The drag link is used to re-center the steering wheel. Really easy. Loosen two nuts, twist until the steering wheel is straight, tighten nuts. Takes less than 5 minutes. (click the link I posted to the DIY Alignment write-up)

An offcenter steering wheel will cause esp issues on turns. Your issue sounds more like bumpsteer? (hit a bump, and the tires try to take you all over the road?)

What are your alignment specs? And which kit do you have? I am guessing that your caster is low, which will cause flighty handling.

Here is an explanation from the faq's at the top of this modified section:
Q: What is Caster? How much do I need?
A: Caster is the angle upon which your front axle sits at in order to help keep your Jeep driving straight. Positive caster, which is what you want, will cause your axle to sit in a way that your pinion shaft will be dipping ever so slightly towards the ground. Too little or even negative caster angle can cause your Jeep to wander and feel 'flighty' or 'darty' as I've heard some people call it. From the factory, your JK will have +4.2° of caster and if you lift it and install larger tires, you will need to increase this amount to help compensate for the modifications. At 3"-4" of lift, I have found that +6°~8° of caster will do wonders to help improve the handling of your Jeep JK Wrangler.
If you have the cheap RC 4" kit, you have Cam Bolts installed. This will let you adjust the caster a small amount, and will help with the steering issues. BUT, we need to know your current caster specs. They will be on the sheet you received from the alignment.
If you have the more expensive RC 4", you have adjustable control arms, which are a much better option for setting caster.

I am also curious about the front geometries. Look at the pic I linked. See how the Drag link and Track bar are roughly parallel to each other? That is what you want. Being angled away from parallel may cause steering/handling problems. Depending on what was in your kit, this may be an issue. Do you have drop brackets installed that would mess up that geometry?

The trackbar centers the axle left to right. The cheap RC kit has a bracket for this, the expensive one has an adjustable trackbar. Go see which you have. My guess is that you have a bracket, and your axle is already close enough to centered. Meaning - an off-center axle isn't the cause of your steering issues!! (if you are on a tight budget, going to an adjustable isn't a top priority)

Toe In is fairly easy to check yourself also. It's in that DIY alignment writeup.

Also, what psi are you running in your tires?

Quick Reply: Steering Issues