Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

steering issue and Q/A on upper or lower control arms????????

Old 08-02-2009, 08:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering issue and Q/A on upper or lower control arms????????

having an issue with the front end: not the death wobble.

I have a trailaster 5in lift on and never once had an issuesince putting it on until recently.... front tires began to scallop about 2K ago-- So I got 'em balanced and rotated (they were way off). But as of about a week ago I'm getting some real flighty steering: like the jeep is on two different sets of tracks between front and back and some real dodgy steering...........

Was searcing and found thi thread

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...nt+control+arm

was wondering if some more caster would help????????????? Which is the quickest remove & replace set between Rusty's and JKS's???????? Which is the better route to go if you are only going to do one- upper or lower control arms????????

(ps sorry if my wring sounds wierd--- have my 7mo old daughter on my lap who keeps banging keyboard while i try to type 1hand and hold her too!!!/)

thanks
Old 08-02-2009, 08:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lowers for the front are the best way to adj castor. Easy to install , just do one side at a time with a floor jack under the pumpkin to move it around.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Jedi Master

I would go over all your suspension parts and bolts though. If it was driving fine and all of a sudden it changed, something is awry. Does that kit have trk bar relocation brackets? Have you checked the toe-in lately? Have you hit your tie-rod on anything off-road? Also, when they rotated and bal them , is that when the probs started or soon thereafter? How often have you been rotating? Sorry for all the questions , just trying to narrow it down so your not spending money on something that may not fix your prob.

Last edited by mkjeep; 08-02-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Thanks guys- No, no offroad lately (my twins are preventing a LOTTTT of Daddy playtime)

For all *just looking* everything seems straight- front and rear axels look aligned and centered. The trailmaster kit (front what I remeber had a slight drop bracket and longer trackbar............

Wife just reminded me too: we both heard a distinct *clunk* from a complete stop to foot off the brake yesturday: nothing super loud but a distinct clunk coming from what sounded like the passenger side front....

Any suggestions on the lowers? JKS or Rusty's? Or another brand? goods/bad of either?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:04 AM
JK Jedi Master

I take it you have the economy kit, did they install cam bolts to adjust for castor? If so, one or both could have moved on you. I have the TeraFlex front lowers, but I haven't heard anything bad about the ones you mentioned. Both are good companies.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I take it you have the economy kit, did they install cam bolts to adjust for castor? If so, one or both could have moved on you. I have the TeraFlex front lowers, but I haven't heard anything bad about the ones you mentioned. Both are good companies.

It was a budget kit but no- there were no cam bolts: lettme try to track down my thread of the install (seems like an eternity now since I did it!)
Old 08-02-2009, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

Ok ,here was the install thread-- loks like I need to track down the actual kit number........

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...082#post585082
Old 08-02-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Ok, here's the kit/////removing hyperlink as I dunno if trailmaster is a sponsor............

http://ww......w.shopatron.com/produ...99.23189.0.0.0

gotta run for a bit- but I'll be back and ANY input is appreciated.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:22 AM
JK Jedi Master

I would check the torque on the frt trk bar and check the bushings as well. But yeah, if you have that much lift , you need frt lowers. Also, check the torque on your stock control arms and shocks, one of those could be a clunk source.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:18 AM
JK Freak

Just a followup (a tad bit overdue but having twin 8 month old girls kinda has kept me busy!)

I got the jeep aligned- seems the toe was kicked out to the passenger side by about 4 degrees: *Most* of the problem now solved. No more flighty steering. The printout they gave me is showing the caster is at 3 degrees---> I thought I remembered reading somewhere here that 4-6 degrees was optimal......? Should I still proceed/get some adjustable control arms????????

Still getting a clunk-ish sound fron the front passenger side & a whole new bunch of squeeks from (what I assume are) the front coil springs.

Guys at the shop couldn't find anything loose & watched as they threw a wrench on just about everything under there. I aint had even 20 minutes to go throw a wrench on anything myself due to me playing Mr. Mom....

So in short- Thanks for the input & the flighty steering is gone but anyone have any other ideas on where the clunk might be from? Anyone got a fast fix for squeaky coils???????

Many thanks & sorry for the delayed followup

Quick Reply: steering issue and Q/A on upper or lower control arms????????