Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Issue- Not safe, need help

Old 02-21-2015, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Issue- Not safe, need help

After wheeling in the snow I heard something metal snap/break. Wasn't sure what... checked my axle shafts which turned out to be fine. Nothing looks bent or broken visually. The issue I was having was driving. I could drive straight with a little bit of side to side drift (new issue) but every few left turns my steering wheel and tires fight me and force the vehicle straight! This has happened a few times with oncoming traffic. Scary! I then tore apart my steering gear box which turned out to be fried and replaced it. That tightened up the steering but I am still having the turning issue. The only other thing I can think of is the SS??? I meant to take it off sooner but weather has kept me from crawling under the jeep. Any ideas!? Please help. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll just assume the steering box was installed correctly. I would check the SS and it's brackets for damage,also
Drag link and tie rod, and the end joints. Did you hit or land on something hard while wheelin?..also check the
Axle U Joints and DS
Old 02-21-2015, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the steering stabilizer shaft got bent this can happen, and the bend might be slight and not obvious. Easy way to tell, just pull it off and go for a drive, and see if the issue persists.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you for the responses. I was very careful to install the gearbox correctly. I have checked the ujoints, tie rods, end links and DS. I'm at a loss however I will get the SS off and check that out. Again, thank you guys.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would have somebody turn the steering wheel (with engine on) while someone checks out what is going on underneath the jeep.

Quick Reply: Steering Issue- Not safe, need help