Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering help?

Old 06-22-2015, 08:40 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With an adjustable track bar you need to first center the axle. Once the axle is centered the steering wheel can be centered.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think I understood exactly how to center the axel.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bullbray
I don't think I understood exactly how to center the axel.
Your springs will tell you if you are out of center. If they both bow to one side your axle is not centered. The issue is centering your axle only centers it at the height the jeep sits when it is centered. Any flex on the passenger side or complete up and down movement will cause variations in axle location.

Extend a level off of the exact same point from both sides of the frame (level bubble, vertical orientation). Take a measurement to something on the axle that is equally identical. If the measurements are different, you arent centered.

The adustable track bar is likely longer than the factory because it is used on lifted vehicles. With only 2.5" of lift you are probably okay as it sits.

I'm not a fan of adjustable track bars. A factory bar gets the job done. If you go over 3" of lift, add a track bar relocation bracket and a drag link flip. It will keep your steering geometry aligned. The track bar and drag link should always be on the same horizontal plane.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for help

Quick Reply: Steering help?