Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering gone bad , NEED HELP!!!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering gone bad , NEED HELP!!!

After a few trips to the trails, I have noticed on my 08 JK that the steering is all outta wack, have fixed it many times, but the problem keeps coming back, does anyone know of a way to fix this so I dont have to fix this problem every time I go to the trails? Yes there is a lift, yes I have larger tires/wheels...Help PLEASE!!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:56 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by raildog13
...I have noticed on my 08 JK that the steering is all outta wack, have fixed it many times, but the problem keeps coming back...
When you say "Steering is outta whack", what exactly is out of whack? What was fixed? What problem keeps coming back? More info would be helpful.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check ur drag link and tie rod bar for play or bent. Oddly enough I just discovered my drag link bent in two spots and the knuckle end loose today.. It's prob been bent for a month or so.. I been chasing a problem n that was it... Made the clunky steering a lot less too..
Old 12-14-2010, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

Steerling wheel is off center, dummy lights turn on, have to turn the steering wheel around more then i should have to just to make a normal turn, i was not sure if a skid plate would help or not
Old 12-14-2010, 03:03 PM
JK Jedi

Steerling wheel is off center, dummy lights turn on, have to turn the steering wheel around more then i should have to just to make a normal turn, i was not sure if a skid plate would help or not
Re center ur steering wheel with the adjustder sleeve on the drag link. Check it for damage also
Old 12-14-2010, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rinkishJK
Check ur drag link and tie rod bar for play or bent. Oddly enough I just discovered my drag link bent in two spots and the knuckle end loose today.. It's prob been bent for a month or so.. I been chasing a problem n that was it... Made the clunky steering a lot less too..
i just had the tie rod and drag link replaced about a month or so ago, i hope thats not the problem, i dont feel like replaceing them both again,,lol
Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 PM
JK Newbie

Re center ur steering wheel with the adjustder sleeve on the drag link. Check it for damage also

thats how i fixed it the first time, the second time was the drag link and the tie rod had to be replaced, is there anything i can do to prevent this besides stay off the trails? lol
Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 PM
JK Jedi

i just had the tie rod and drag link replaced about a month or so ago, i hope thats not the problem, i dont feel like replaceing them both again,,lol
It might not be ur problem but u should check them both, as well as the track bar.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

It might not be ur problem but u should check them both, as well as the track bar.
ok cool, thanks, i may be mistaking but i think i saw a skid plate to protect the steering( tie rods, adjuster sleeve, drag link) i am not sure dose anyone know if they have those, if so where and how much, if not anyone wanna help me make one,,,,lol
Old 12-14-2010, 06:30 PM
JK Jedi

Somebody here on the forum ended up having lots of problems with his steering and it ended up being his steering box. He ended up replacing it with a heavy duty after market box.....I guess they do make them. You'll have to do a search as I don't know who it was. Maybe he'll see this and let you know....

Quick Reply: Steering gone bad , NEED HELP!!!