Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Geometry question…

Old 06-17-2015, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Geometry question…

I have had a thunk, clunk in my steering for some time; I have searched and put a wrench on every connection that I could find.

The only source of movement and possible noise is the link that has the steering stabilizer connected to it, I have no idea what it is called. When I grab hold of it, I can twist it and have it make contact our where it is connected at the wheel, seems to have a lot of play in it.

With 110k on JK, I thought the steering stabilizer was shot, so I ordered a replacement, installed and and still have the play in it, and still have the clunk when I move the wheel slightly back and forth while driving.

Is that link supposed to have enough play in it that it makes audible contact at the wheel end?
Thanks.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tie rod is what I'm assuming your referring to. The bar itself will move up and down so that's normal. It sounds as if you have the infamous steering wheel clunk. It's actually in the steering shaft itself and it's very very common. I had it also. Good thing is its not really an issue, just an annoyance.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

When you get a chance, go up to the Writeups area. Stuck to the top is a great diagnosis thread. I know it says it's for deathwobble and shimmy - doesn't matter, it's a great resource for checking the front end components. Follow the steps and you should be able to easily tell if the tierod ends, or any other components, are bad/loose/wallowed, etc.

The clunk could be a few different things, but as Dunny said, the steering shaft is a well known source for the clunk in the steering wheel. There are a bunch of threads on it to read through, and it's pretty easy to grease the little boot there to see if it helps with the clunk.

Here is one of the many threads on it, from like 5 years ago. You will find posts with pics of the problem area, and the types of grease people chose, a part number for a replacement shaft, even some feedback on other possible problem areas. Enjoy.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...mn-4530/page4/
Old 06-17-2015, 06:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

At 110k miles, its likely that some of your tie rod ends are worried. Check both ends of the tie rod (connects the two front wheels), and both ends of the draglink (connects steering box to axle) by squeezing the rod ends with a large set of channel locks. If you have more than about 1/8" of vertical play, it may be time to replace them.

Like stated above, the steering intermediate shaft is another source of clunking. Squirt some grease in there with a needle attachment through the boot, or if youre handy enough, you can drill and tap the shaft for a grease zerk.

Quick Reply: Steering Geometry question…