Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering feels sloppy after lift and alignment

Old 02-25-2014, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering feels sloppy after lift and alignment

Put a 2.5 inch teraflex coil and shock lift on the Jeep over the weekend and had the shop do an alignment today. They didn't charge me because they said all they did was adjust my toe. (It was pulling to the left) now it doesn't pull but I feel like the steering is loose or sloppy. Is this just something I should get use to or is there something wrong? The print out they gave me showed they set it back to factory
Old 02-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What did the caster read?
Old 02-25-2014, 06:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yep, Caster. As you lift higher, the axles tilt, and the caster number goes down. Stock is somewhere around 4 degrees. After your 2.5" lift (3" actual height?), caster is down in the 3.xx range and you are feeling the difference.

Your choices are Cam Bolts, correction brackets, longer/shorter fixed control arms, adjustable arms. Do some searching to see which is right for you.

Did new tires go on as well? Shops like to over-inflate.

During install, were all of the bolts tightened with your jeep in the air, or while sitting on the ground under vehicle weight?

If you haven't read through the two threads stuck to the top of this modified area, you might spend a few minutes there.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-25-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

^^^ All true .
Old 02-25-2014, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

I left the damn print out at work but will have those numbers for you guys tomorrow, I did read the stickies and when I installed the lift I torqued everything at proper spec at ride height
I'm thinking they over inflated the tires, that's what it feels like and makes perfect sense.
Will check tomorrow and advise with the print out numbers. Thank you!
Old 02-25-2014, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

I couldn't wait so I just checked the tires. 37 psi in the front right and 32 in the left! 35 in the rears in 315 duratracs. I lowered to 30 psi all around and it felt great again! Thanks for the tip I knew I should have checked that
Old 02-26-2014, 02:40 AM
JK Newbie

After 30 years of aligning cars it's amazing to me that techs don't check the air pressure BEFORE alignment . It is truly critical especially on camber readings and road feel to at least have them all aired to the same psi .

This comment is null and void if your tires leak !
Old 02-26-2014, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Yep, Caster. As you lift higher, the axles tilt, and the caster number goes down. Stock is somewhere around 4 degrees. After your 2.5" lift (3" actual height?), caster is down in the 3.xx range and you are feeling the difference.

Your choices are Cam Bolts, correction brackets, longer/shorter fixed control arms, adjustable arms. Do some searching to see which is right for you.

Did new tires go on as well? Shops like to over-inflate.

During install, were all of the bolts tightened with your jeep in the air, or while sitting on the ground under vehicle weight?

If you haven't read through the two threads stuck to the top of this modified area, you might spend a few minutes there.

You're spot on caster is 3.01 and 3.04. My toe looks good @ 0.10 and 0.09.

Im happy just adjusting the air pressure. Maybe down the road when I upgrade to 37's I'll do a long arm kit!

Quick Reply: Steering feels sloppy after lift and alignment