Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering feel & Caster questions

Old 05-17-2010, 06:42 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering feel & Caster questions

Question #1, Steering issues:
I've straightened out my steering wheel 129031029 times over the past month and it keeps shifting slightly off center to the left or right. Also, the steering 'feel' is totally gone. I can turn my wheel 45* in either direction and barely get the truck to turn.

This past weekend I dismantled the entire front end to inspect what the hell could be going on, and noticed that the back hole of the trackbar mount on the axle was slightly wallowed out. Also, the drivers side shock appears to be leaking so it could be blown; this may be the reason why my jeep rides like a 83 El Dorado, but I digress.

Would an ovaled trackbar mounting hole be the culprit for the steering wheel not centering? And, would a highsteer kit help with the steering feel?

I'll get a set of washers welded in but want to make sure I've pinpointed the issue.

Question #2, Caster:
I just had my Jeep aligned professionally and I'm at 3.7* and 3.2*. I have adjustable lower control arms (I do not have uppers), and would like to get somewhere into the sweet spot.

What is the ratio between LCA to caster? If I want to get to 6*, how much do I lengthen the lower by?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Since the trackbar does hold your axle, that could be the reason as to why your steering doesn't turn. Without the trackbar holding it in place, you're just shifting the axle to the left and right as to turning the wheel when you turn your steering wheel.

The steering wheel not holding it's place in the center could also be a cause of this. This can also be be related to your tie rod, draglink, pitman arm. Check for play there as well.

As to your LCA to caster question- there isn't really a magic # as it varies depending on your control arms, angles, etc but keep in mind when you adjust your caster you also alter your pinion angle. On lifted Jeeps you have to find a balance between the two.

As I understand, it's just a sacrifice you make when lifting the Jeep unless you want to limit your articulation due to a bad pinion angle... this will cause binding, etc. Unless theres a cure that I'm unaware of.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to be running between 5-7 degrees castor, start there first since you have adj lowers.Also I have the TF dragflip kit, helped my steering a bunch.How much lift do you have? Put your lower ca's at 23in eye to eye and go from there. Use an angle finder on the bottom of your C and get it to 6-7 degrees. Mine was only off a half degree according to alignment shop.

Last edited by mkjeep; 05-17-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
You need to be running between 5-7 degrees castor, start there first since you have adj lowers.Also I have the TF dragflip kit, helped my steering a bunch.How much lift do you have? Put your lower ca's at 23in eye to eye and go from there. Use an angle finder on the bottom of your C and get it to 6-7 degrees. Mine was only off a half degree according to alignment shop.
How has this effected your pinion angle?
Old 05-17-2010, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Examine your lower sector shaft. I had symptoms that were nearly identical. What i ultimately found to be the problem was that the splines on the sector shaft were frozen solid.

To determine if you have the same problem, all you need to do is remove (remove, not loosen) one of the bolts from the sector shaft and see if you can compress the shaft...it should easily compress.
When removing the sector shaft it is crucial that you keep the steering wheel from turning...it can rotate and destroy the clock spring if you don't.

The reason the frozen sector shaft causes the symptom is that if the shaft can't slide on the splines it binds up when the steering is going over center in either direction. It requires the driver to turn the wheel more to overcome the bind. You'll end up chasing the wheel center forever if that shaft doesn't work properly.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vrrooom
How has this effected your pinion angle?
It brings the pinion angle down.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:35 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
I've got the TF 3" currently. I tried the magnet angle finder (WOL's DIY alignment write up) and I can't seem to get a good angle reading. I found that moving the angle finder a few cm's up or down would affect my angle readings.

However, I will be marking exactly where to place the angle finder and use my pro measurements and calculate accordingly. Meaning, that if the drv shows 9* before the adjustment, and the pro reading is 3.7, I'll adjust till I hit 12*.

What I'm hoping (looking) for is for someone to tell me how many degrees 1/8th of an inch out on a LCA would net me.

Originally Posted by zoeydad
Examine your lower sector shaft. I had symptoms that were nearly identical. What i ultimately found to be the problem was that the splines on the sector shaft were frozen solid.
Yikes, that sounds a bit above my shade-tree mechanic skillset. I will however look at the torque settings of the pitman arm. I've read somewhere that it's gotta be somewhere around 185ft/lbs.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bkw

Yikes, that sounds a bit above my shade-tree mechanic skillset. I will however look at the torque settings of the pitman arm. I've read somewhere that it's gotta be somewhere around 185ft/lbs.
It's remarkably simple. It's that shaft that connects your steering wheel to the steering box. It has u-joints on each end of it. Just look at your steering box and you'll see the shaft and you'll see the rubber boot that covers the splines...just like a mini-driveshaft. It's held on at each end by a single pinch bolt. It's about a 5 min job to check it out.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jgkjeep
Remember with a double cardan CV (most of you guys with aftermarket shafts) the pinion angle needs to be within 1 degree of the driveshaft angle or you will be shortening the life of your driveshaft.

I saw one guy that was running extra caster for steering that ended up with the ears of his yoke bent out and the driveshaft destroyed after just a few months.

If you are running a double cardan shaft then instead of using control arms to change caster you should really be rotating your c's.
That was my concern that I was wondering about. So then- how do you rotate the Cs?
Old 05-17-2010, 09:39 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same issue with the steering wheel going off center all the time. By any chance did you double check your tie rod? I'm strongly thinking mine may be bent. There's ton's of scrapes on it and I understand the stock one is easy to bend even withought hitting an obstical. Problem is it's hard to tell where there are so many bends in it as is.

Does your esp lights or ABS lights come on when your wheel is off center? Mine sure does.. As im sure it is suppose to.

Quick Reply: Steering feel & Caster questions