Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering drag link help

Old 09-04-2016, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering drag link help

My Steering Drag Link tie rod that attaches to the Pitman Arm is bad (I can see movement and the boot has been torn for the last 20,000 miles) and the steering is a bit sloppy. I've replaced the ball joints. Should I replace the drag link with a heavy duty tie rod and drag link? What about a dropped drag link? The less expensive way is to just replace the tie rod.

Are the dropped drag links worth it on just a 3 inch lift?

2012 2dr
33,000 miles
3 inch lift
35" tires
Old 09-04-2016, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A simple $30 moog tie rod end will solve your problem. Unless you really feel the need to upgrade.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Is it the draglink or the tie rod that has bad ends? You can replace either or both with heavier duty aftermarket components, or stock components, or new ends.

Is there some negative steering characteristic you are wanting to add a drop pitman or a draglink flip to fix?

If you think you want to go ahead and correct the steering angles, then when you are replacing those bars is a good time to do it. Read more reviews on drop pitmans, they are cheap but don't have the best reviews. Some of the flip components can be run in stock locations, then adjusted when you get around to flipping the draglink. (synergy, not sure who else). Either way, you will want to add a trackbar bracket when you install the drop pitman or flip the draglink.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered the mood tie rod end as a quick fix for now. Thanks for the replies guys.

Quick Reply: Steering drag link help