Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

steering codes after body lift install

Old 12-27-2013, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering codes after body lift install

I recently added a body lift to my JK which I had to add the spacer into the steering shaft. When I first installed it everything was good. Went back a few thousand miles later to check everything and found it was loose, I removed it checked splines etc to make sure nothing was worn. I reassembled and used blue locktight on the setscrew and bolts to combat the before problem. Fired the jeep up and boom..Christmas tree in the dash. Both the Stability light and the ESP/BAS light are on. Steering wheel is centered still, no changed was done to the alighment. I reset the codes with my superchips and fired it up again..the lights came back. I checked the codes and one said erractic steering agle and the I foget the other, both had to do with steering. I have cleared them and drove the jeep and no change. It doesn't throw the ABS light on as well like it would if a speed sensor is bad or failing. Cruise and all still works. I think the steering wheel may have turned once or twice a revolution or whatever while it was disconnected. Would that have caused this? Could it have broken the clockspring?
Old 12-28-2013, 10:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went out and read the codes again, it said clock spring oversteer when I turned to the left and threw the lights on. Turning to the right full lock and no codes nor lights, I separated the shaft again and made once complete revolution to the right and reassembled. Reset the codes once more and cranked the vehicle and turned full lock right and left and no codes, drove the jeep approx 10 miles and did some full lock left and right turns in a parking lot and no lights still. Came home and retested for codes and none were found. Seems to be fixed, got lucky on this one it seems.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How big of a body lift did you install? Why are you messing with your steering?

Quick Reply: steering codes after body lift install