Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering Clunk

Old 07-09-2014, 02:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Clunk

I have a 2012 JK only 40,000 miles. It has a 3 inch bds lift with 35s. Lift has been for the past 35,000 miles. Jeep has never been in 4wd. For the past week, when in both park and driving I get a loud clunk/pop when the steering wheel goes from 2 o'clock back to center (right to left). I have the aftermarket market bumper to bumper warranty. I think the steering box is bad. Im worried that I'll get the run around for the warranty because its lifted.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is very common. Mine does it to. It's the sector shaft. Google jk steering clunk and read up. You'll find tons of posts and threads.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Check your power steering fluid…If you're running low it'll clunk
Old 07-09-2014, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies. Fluid is fill. Im going to try to tighten the track bar first. I was worried that the steering box was bad. It only clunks when the wheel goes from right to left. Other than that no problems. Its never been off road.

Quick Reply: Steering Clunk