Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering box and warranty

Old 03-09-2015, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering box and warranty

So I've checked out some threads and I've modded vehicles for almost 2 decades now. I usually suck it up and if there's a problem, I'll fix it but this is my first "truck" (non-car maybe?!) in again...almost 20 years so I've been slow to dive into things.

With that said, my lifted 2014 on 35's and 12k miles has been acting hokey lately. I checked ball joints and anything else under the front and noticed that my steering box was wet. Not full on leaking but enough dampness to pique my curiosity. So today after work I stopped by my local Jeep shop who did the lift and they confirmed my suspicions. They told me to take it to the dealer after hearing my dealers name and said that they've heard good things in terms of being mod friendly.

This particular dealer sells brand new Jeeps with lifts, tires, rails, etc so I've got a mild warm and fuzzy about tomorrow's service appointment but I'm curious if any others have had the steering box go bad with mild mods and no gnarly wheeling. What happened at your dealer?

Any chance or verbiage I can use to make me sound confident that warranty should cover it? If not, shop quoted me ~$700 to repair/replace. Although that'll push back my locker install!

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. Sorry for the problem. I have a 2011 and had some up and down play in my sector shaft. Took it in to my local dealer and they replaced the steering box under warranty.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by urmyboyblue
So I've checked out some threads and I've modded vehicles for almost 2 decades now. I usually suck it up and if there's a problem, I'll fix it but this is my first "truck" (non-car maybe?!) in again...almost 20 years so I've been slow to dive into things.

With that said, my lifted 2014 on 35's and 12k miles has been acting hokey lately. I checked ball joints and anything else under the front and noticed that my steering box was wet. Not full on leaking but enough dampness to pique my curiosity. So today after work I stopped by my local Jeep shop who did the lift and they confirmed my suspicions. They told me to take it to the dealer after hearing my dealers name and said that they've heard good things in terms of being mod friendly.

This particular dealer sells brand new Jeeps with lifts, tires, rails, etc so I've got a mild warm and fuzzy about tomorrow's service appointment but I'm curious if any others have had the steering box go bad with mild mods and no gnarly wheeling. What happened at your dealer?

Any chance or verbiage I can use to make me sound confident that warranty should cover it? If not, shop quoted me ~$700 to repair/replace. Although that'll push back my locker install!

Thanks.
Were you having actual issues with handling or steering that lead you to check steering box ? I'm sure if the dealer is Mod friendly and did the lift you shouldn't have any prob's with getting the box fixed. Good luck
Old 03-10-2015, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
Were you having actual issues with handling or steering that lead you to check steering box ? I'm sure if the dealer is Mod friendly and did the lift you shouldn't have any prob's with getting the box fixed. Good luck
I can feel it when driving. It's weird to describe. Aside from a drift to the left which seems status quo with trail grapplers, I just felt a little play in the wheel. I wish there was a clear cut way to explain it.

The dealer didn't do the lift though...I just threw out that the dealer sells already modified vehicles just to give an overview that they seem like they'd be friendly!

Thanks for the info...Here's to hoping it'll be square!
Old 03-10-2015, 03:35 PM
JK Freak

So Blue is dropped off. The service advisor got me new freedom panels because the factory ones were leaking and he's pretty cool.

Spoke with the service advisor and he agreed that there's a leak and I asked him to call me if there's a reason (lift, tires, etc.) it can't be warrantied and he told me not to worry -- should be good. I felt even more confident in the fact that he told me his last day was this Friday and he's moving to a Toyota dealership because "this place isn't cutting it". Soooo...I'm hopeful in that he'll just make sure it gets fixed before he rides out.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Sounds like your good to go hopefully......

Quick Reply: Steering box and warranty