Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering box upgrade?

Old 03-13-2016, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsukey
What cooler did you end up going with? I read about another person having a difficult time to get the correct hydraulic fittings to work for it. A simple band clamp won't cut it since the new output will be so much higher.
Derale single pass I believe i have the 17" one. I got the one as a kit with two fittings and some hose . I just used a double barbed connector to connect the soft hoses on the return line. You need two connectors one for the res side and one for the steering box side. I cut out the hardline for the return line completely
Old 03-13-2016, 12:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the PSC dual cooler, it has barbed fittings with circular hose clamps. I am using one for the power steering the other will be for the automatic transmission.
Be sure to measure your stroke and not just order a ram based on what you read, some JK's are 6.75", mine was 6"

Click image for larger version

Name:	mbc110k-2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	640520
Old 03-13-2016, 12:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thegoat
I used the PSC dual cooler, it has barbed fittings with circular hose clamps. I am using one for the power steering the other will be for the automatic transmission.
Be sure to measure your stroke and not just order a ram based on what you read, some JK's are 6.75", mine was 6"

Attachment 640520
I saw a guy selling the dual PSC kit. He only had one cooler though. I suppose that would work for me, seeing as how I have a 6 speed.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jsukey
I saw a guy selling the dual PSC kit. He only had one cooler though. I suppose that would work for me, seeing as how I have a 6 speed.
Get the second cooler and add more cooling power.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by thegoat
Get the second cooler and add more cooling power.
Me thinks that may be a bit of overkill!
Old 03-14-2016, 08:35 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

I turned to my son and said, "After this easy day of wheeling, I am going to address my steering...."

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
It's good that you are thinking ahead about the steering. It is often a back burner topic in most builds, but it should be one of the more important considerations. A few things to consider.

1. Stock JK boxes have been known to shear the bolts holding it to the frame under hard loads off-road. A more powerful box with not other modifications, is going to cause more load. In addition, more power means more flex in the steering box.

2. A sector shaft brace is not a fix for the above issues. It transfers all the stress to the sector shaft itself. The popularity of the braces has results in a new problem of shearing the sector shaft in half. That is very costly and potentially dangerous.

3. A stronger box will put more stress on an often over stressed drag link. When running larger than stock tires, upgrading the drag link really is a good idea. The stock ends can wear pretty fast with large tires, especially if you wheel in the rocks a lot.

So, what does one do? Hydro assist is the correct solution. For some reason, hydro assist never makes it to the priority list. It is thought of as something that would be "nice" to have. That is not the right perspective. The list is often lift, tires, bumpers, etc. It should be lift, tires, hydro....

"but hydro assist costs..." It really doesn't have to cost much. With a little effort (I have a long post laying it all out), you can have a full PSC system for under $1k. If you skip a couple of the expensive upgrades, it can be a lot less.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=Rancho;4197829]I turned to my son and said, "After this easy day of wheeling, I am going to address my steering...."

Ouch! What broke?
Old 03-21-2016, 04:19 AM
JK Freak

Sector shaft?
Old 03-29-2016, 07:39 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As @jsukey mentioned the sector shaft, once this breaks, you aren't going any where.

[QUOTE=thegoat;4199601]
Originally Posted by Rancho
I turned to my son and said, "After this easy day of wheeling, I am going to address my steering...."

Ouch! What broke?

Quick Reply: Steering box upgrade?