Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering box upgrade?

Old 03-11-2016, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
In my build thread on JKO, scroll part way down on the page and there is a long post on it (post #108). Invest2m4's broke the budget build; tons, 40s and triangles... - Page 5 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Thanks I'll certainly take a look at that.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

I'm running 37's and have the Redneck Ram Stage 2 (WTO) kit using a 6" x 1.5". Works great only lag is when I try and turn the wheel really fast one direction or quickly left then right at idle.
The Stage 2 kit is $549. Redhead steering gear has a nice rebuild as well and then you can add the ram and hoses from WTO.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by thegoat
I'm running 37's and have the Redneck Ram Stage 2 (WTO) kit using a 6" x 1.5". Works great only lag is when I try and turn the wheel really fast one direction or quickly left then right at idle.
The Stage 2 kit is $549. Redhead steering gear has a nice rebuild as well and then you can add the ram and hoses from WTO.
I did the same and am very pleased with this setup.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
I did the same and am very pleased with this setup.
Hey where did you find this upgrade? I can't seem to find an active part number on West Texas Off Roads website and most Google links to this part are bad links?
Old 03-12-2016, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by JKUHELO1
Hey where did you find this upgrade? I can't seem to find an active part number on West Texas Off Roads website and most Google links to this part are bad links?
Middle of this page - wtor

Additionally, what he will do (if he has one in stock) is send you the entire kit including a rebuilt gear box and charge you a core charge. You send your old gear box back and he refunds the core charge.

Matt is a great guy and will answer as many questions as you have.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Middle of this page - wtor Additionally, what he will do (if he has one in stock) is send you the entire kit including a rebuilt gear box and charge you a core charge. You send your old gear box back and he refunds the core charge. Matt is a great guy and will answer as many questions as you have.
Thank you I'll call him on Monday!
Old 03-13-2016, 03:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Canvas
I am currently running Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x12.5x17 mounted on ATX Slabs with no upgrades and is doing just fine. I would recommend getting an after market tie rod. When I eventually move up to 37's I will upgrade to a hydraulic assist steering system like PCS which replaces the existing steering box with a beefier steering box.
I see you're in Fort Worth as well! I believe I've seen your Jeep around town. I am in the exact same boat as you right now, but I have been checking out the WTO Redneck Ram package. I have been reading post after post about it, and have been pretty pleased with what I have read. It seems like the only issues I've ran across, have been from people who went against what they recommended. One was installing too large of a ram, that the pump can't keep up and they ended up having issues turning at very low speeds. Another was the debate on whether or not a steering cooler, and or larger reservoir. They even recommend not going with either of those, as their system works perfectly without upgrading it. Definitely thinking of taking that path.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Middle of this page - wtor Additionally, what he will do (if he has one in stock) is send you the entire kit including a rebuilt gear box and charge you a core charge. You send your old gear box back and he refunds the core charge. Matt is a great guy and will answer as many questions as you have.
X100 good peeps. He will only send you a box if he has one to send though. When he did mine he didn't have any boxes in stock so I had to send mine in. So your jeep may be down a couple weeks
Old 03-13-2016, 04:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jsukey
I see you're in Fort Worth as well! I believe I've seen your Jeep around town. I am in the exact same boat as you right now, but I have been checking out the WTO Redneck Ram package. I have been reading post after post about it, and have been pretty pleased with what I have read. It seems like the only issues I've ran across, have been from people who went against what they recommended. One was installing too large of a ram, that the pump can't keep up and they ended up having issues turning at very low speeds. Another was the debate on whether or not a steering cooler, and or larger reservoir. They even recommend not going with either of those, as their system works perfectly without upgrading it. Definitely thinking of taking that path.
Make sure they send you a 1.5 x 7 ram not 1.75 x 7. Also yes a cooler is a great idea. I am still using the stock res
Old 03-13-2016, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What cooler did you end up going with? I read about another person having a difficult time to get the correct hydraulic fittings to work for it. A simple band clamp won't cut it since the new output will be so much higher.

Quick Reply: Steering box upgrade?