Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering box upgrade?

Old 03-11-2016, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering box upgrade?

Regearing and going to 35's after this summer, cash flow pending of course...

Opinions appreciated on whether I should upgrade my steering box as well? Has anybody done that after going to 35's or bigger tires or is the stock one fine....which I can't imagine anything stock on the JK being fine.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I am currently running Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x12.5x17 mounted on ATX Slabs with no upgrades and is doing just fine. I would recommend getting an after market tie rod. When I eventually move up to 37's I will upgrade to a hydraulic assist steering system like PCS which replaces the existing steering box with a beefier steering box.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Canvas
I am currently running Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x12.5x17 mounted on ATX Slabs with no upgrades and is doing just fine. I would recommend getting an after market tie rod. When I eventually move up to 37's I will upgrade to a hydraulic assist steering system like PCS which replaces the existing steering box with a beefier steering box.
Well I've been running the 33" Cooper STT's for about four years now on my 08 JKU and it seems fine other than the typical "slight" play in the steering wheel itself with larger aftermarket wheels and tires. I upgraded to a Teraflex adjustable front trackbar and it did wonders for the ease of alignment. I'm going to the 35's in the same brand tire and the weight difference is only like 1.11 pounds per tire which shocked me a little...can I assume that with this little a difference it shouldn't affect the steering box with another 4.44 pounds added over the total difference in weight over all four tires on the ground?
Old 03-11-2016, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKUHELO1
Well I've been running the 33" Cooper STT's for about four years now on my 08 JKU and it seems fine other than the typical "slight" play in the steering wheel itself with larger aftermarket wheels and tires. I upgraded to a Teraflex adjustable front trackbar and it did wonders for the ease of alignment. I'm going to the 35's in the same brand tire and the weight difference is only like 1.11 pounds per tire which shocked me a little...can I assume that with this little a difference it shouldn't affect the steering box with another 4.44 pounds added over the total difference in weight over all four tires on the ground?
Thats about as clear as mud when I read that back to myself
Old 03-11-2016, 04:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The size and rotating mass increase is more of a hit than just the extra pound. How much more, dunno. Drive it with the 35's and see what you think.

Some like steering box braces, others feel there are negatives to supporting the box. Some prefer hydro assist, others don't feel the benefit outweighs the cost. (The synergy upper trackbar/steering box brace set is popular. And you can find plenty of threads about PSC, WTO Redneck Ram, and drilling/tapping and sourcing your own parts on the cheap)

I got a brace when they first came out. At the time, there was a bunch of talk about box weakness and snapped shafts. Has it helped? Again, dunno. Has it hurt anything? Since I dislike playing in the rocks, I really didn't see the need for hydro. At some point I may send my box to WTO to get it rebuilt and tapped, but for my offroad usage on 37's, not in any hurry.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been running 35s for a while and never even considered a steering box upgrade.

However, I am putting in lockers this week, and may consider hydro assist at some point in the future. I understand that the steering will become more difficult when the front axle is locked.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

Gentlemen I appreciate the opinions and will make the decision when it comes time to upgrade. I will probably run this for a month or two and see how it feels then address it accordingly.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's good that you are thinking ahead about the steering. It is often a back burner topic in most builds, but it should be one of the more important considerations. A few things to consider.

1. Stock JK boxes have been known to shear the bolts holding it to the frame under hard loads off-road. A more powerful box with not other modifications, is going to cause more load. In addition, more power means more flex in the steering box.

2. A sector shaft brace is not a fix for the above issues. It transfers all the stress to the sector shaft itself. The popularity of the braces has results in a new problem of shearing the sector shaft in half. That is very costly and potentially dangerous.

3. A stronger box will put more stress on an often over stressed drag link. When running larger than stock tires, upgrading the drag link really is a good idea. The stock ends can wear pretty fast with large tires, especially if you wheel in the rocks a lot.

So, what does one do? Hydro assist is the correct solution. For some reason, hydro assist never makes it to the priority list. It is thought of as something that would be "nice" to have. That is not the right perspective. The list is often lift, tires, bumpers, etc. It should be lift, tires, hydro....

"but hydro assist costs..." It really doesn't have to cost much. With a little effort (I have a long post laying it all out), you can have a full PSC system for under $1k. If you skip a couple of the expensive upgrades, it can be a lot less.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
It's good that you are thinking ahead about the steering. It is often a back burner topic in most builds, but it should be one of the more important considerations. A few things to consider. 1. Stock JK boxes have been known to shear the bolts holding it to the frame under hard loads off-road. A more powerful box with not other modifications, is going to cause more load. In addition, more power means more flex in the steering box. 2. A sector shaft brace is not a fix for the above issues. It transfers all the stress to the sector shaft itself. The popularity of the braces has results in a new problem of shearing the sector shaft in half. That is very costly and potentially dangerous. 3. A stronger box will put more stress on an often over stressed drag link. When running larger than stock tires, upgrading the drag link really is a good idea. The stock ends can wear pretty fast with large tires, especially if you wheel in the rocks a lot. So, what does one do? Hydro assist is the correct solution. For some reason, hydro assist never makes it to the priority list. It is thought of as something that would be "nice" to have. That is not the right perspective. The list is often lift, tires, bumpers, etc. It should be lift, tires, hydro.... "but hydro assist costs..." It really doesn't have to cost much. With a little effort (I have a long post laying it all out), you can have a full PSC system for under $1k. If you skip a couple of the expensive upgrades, it can be a lot less.
Can you show me the link to your thread for the upgrade under a grand please? I'd like to see it and thx for the Hydro assist solution honestly I was looking at the PSC one and the exact thought I had was "I'm not spending that much for a steering upgrade before I spend 5k plus on gears a locker and bigger tires..."
Old 03-11-2016, 07:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKUHELO1
Can you show me the link to your thread for the upgrade under a grand please? I'd like to see it and thx for the Hydro assist solution honestly I was looking at the PSC one and the exact thought I had was "I'm not spending that much for a steering upgrade before I spend 5k plus on gears a locker and bigger tires..."
In my build thread on JKO, scroll part way down on the page and there is a long post on it (post #108). Invest2m4's broke the budget build; tons, 40s and triangles... - Page 5 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

Quick Reply: Steering box upgrade?