Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

"Steering box" problem resolved.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Steering box" problem resolved.

So I tossed this in the Modified Tech forum versus the Stock even though they deal with kind of both?! It's wonky but whatever!

So, if you saw my previous thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...rranty-318546/, you'll see that I took the ol Jeep into the dealer for warranty work. I figured I'd post up here a new thread since it's dealing with the same stuff but includes the finer things, like not being goofy!

The dealership was pretty rad. The "wetness" they saw on the box was "lube from when they built the Jeep" and they didn't change anything out because things weren't completely broken. Told me to drive it and get it fixed when it does go. I don't buy their explanation but this didn't prevent me from driving the Jeep. So...Here's the fun stuff.

I recently got smacked by a teenager in a Honda and was hit in the passenger side wheel. No biggie to my vehicle except a bent axle flange. Yay..upgraded to chromoly's! The day it happened, just to ensure I wasn't driving on a wheel that wasn't true, I pulled of my spare, tossed the hub ring on and mounted the tire. Well, insurance wanted to see the damage as it was. So, I took the tire back off the carrier and mounted it and left it as is after replacing the shafts. Never thinking anything of it. This past weekend, I changed the oil and rotated the tires. Pulled the passenger side rear wheel off -- NO HUB RING! NOOO!!! Where is it? It was on my spare! I never swapped it out when I switched the tires for the second time! Now, no more annoying little weirdness being felt in the wheel. Which why I felt it in the steering is beyond me.

Moral of the story -- Jeep is fixed and ATTENTION TO DETAIL!

Quick Reply: "Steering box" problem resolved.