Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Steering box? HELP

Old 11-16-2016, 02:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering box? HELP

What's up everyone!

today I decided to check under my jk & saw my pitarm soaked in some fluid/oil, and checked the top of my steering box and it has some oil, so I'm not sure what's going on there, now I don't want to take it in to jeep to have it "DIAGNOSED" because they'll charge me $150.00 if they find nothing, this is where the forums come into play ....

Also the draglink bushing seems to be blown 🙄..

Let me know.
Appreciate it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	661044   Click image for larger version

Views:	78
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	661045   Click image for larger version

Views:	67
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	661046   Click image for larger version

Views:	75
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	661047   Click image for larger version

Views:	68
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	661048  

Last edited by dark_jku; 11-16-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dark_jku
What's up everyone! today I decided to check under my jk & saw my pitarm soaked in some fluid/oil, and checked the top of my steering box and it has some oil, so I'm not sure what's going on there, now I don't want to take it in to jeep to have it "DIAGNOSED" because they'll charge me $150.00 if they find nothing, this is where the forums come into play .... Also the draglink bushing seems to be blown dde44.. Let me know. Appreciate it
Sounds and looks like the seals have failed in your steering box. Mine failed in my 07 about a year after I bought the jeep new, but I also beat on it. I would say have someone rebuild it or upgrade to a redneck ram if you want steering assist. They rebuild boxes as well (part of the stage 1&2 packages). A new box is pricey, unless you can find a donor or someone who went hydro. Hope this helps
Old 11-16-2016, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
Sounds and looks like the seals have failed in your steering box. Mine failed in my 07 about a year after I bought the jeep new, but I also beat on it. I would say have someone rebuild it or upgrade to a redneck ram if you want steering assist. They rebuild boxes as well (part of the stage 1&2 packages). A new box is pricey, unless you can find a donor or someone who went hydro. Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply, my jeep is still under warranty so now that I know something is wrong I might as well just take it in! 100$ deductible
Old 11-16-2016, 04:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also check and see if your draglink end is hitting your Swaybar. That drag link boot looks damaged right where it might hit. I had an issue with this but I've done a bunch of mods, or have a slightly twisted sector shaft, that may have caused it. It does look like there are signs of contact with something on your Swaybar where I drew the arrow.

I ended up grinding some clearance into my Swaybar to fix my contact in this same place...

Last edited by Biginboca; 11-16-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:10 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dark_jku
Thanks for the reply, my jeep is still under warranty so now that I know something is wrong I might as well just take it in! 100$ deductible
Glad to help! Even better that your under warranty!
Old 11-17-2016, 03:11 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Biginboca
Also check and see if your draglink end is hitting your Swaybar. That drag link boot looks damaged right where it might hit. I had an issue with this but I've done a bunch of mods, or have a slightly twisted sector shaft, that may have caused it. It does look like there are signs of contact with something on your Swaybar where I drew the arrow. I ended up grinding some clearance into my Swaybar to fix my contact in this same place...
I did not see that last night. It does look as if it is making contact. Good eye
Old 11-17-2016, 07:16 PM
JK Newbie

im going to leave everything as is for now going to take it to the dealer next week, and surely after maybe a week or two, going to install a lift kit and tighten everything up to make sure its good, do you think the warranty covers the drag link?

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
I did not see that last night. It does look as if it is making contact. Good eye

Quick Reply: Steering box? HELP